PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Install

harddriver
December 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm very new to Ubuntu. I downloaded and installed. Everything was fine until I updated. Now instead of a GUI, I have a text based OS. What went wrong?? There was 208 updates. Help!

midnightfox2
December 28th, 2008, 12:02 PM
The 208 updates are normal. But what did you do to get into text based OS ?

pastalavista
December 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Reboot and if it is still text mode, reboot again and select "recovery" mode (second boot option) and select "repair X".

harddriver
December 28th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I did the updates and restarted. When it restarted, it was in text, not gui. It looks like the terminal. It even asks for my sign on. I tried pastalavista's suggestion, but the options I have do not include repair x. My options are...

resume
clean
dpkg
fsck
root
xfix

I tried the xfix to no avail. :(

The mode I selected was "Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9 generic (recovery mode)

pastalavista
December 29th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I'm wondering if perhaps you installed Ubuntu server edition. It doesn't come with a GUI. If you have internet access try:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

harddriver
December 29th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm wondering if perhaps you installed Ubuntu server edition. It doesn't come with a GUI. If you have internet access try:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I tried that and this is what I got...

Reading package lists...Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information...Done
ubuntu-desktop is already newest version
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, and 0 not upgraded

harddriver
December 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM
OK. The problem lies in the graphics driver. I have 2 Nvidia 7600GT Fatal1ty's NOT running SLI. I cleared the HD and reinstalled Ubuntu and then installed the recommended graphics driver. It then told me to reboot. Upon reboot I have the command line interface instead of the GUI.

namdung
December 29th, 2008, 06:06 AM
In Terminal

startx to start an x server.

harddriver
December 29th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I'm not wanting the server version. I am using desktop version. I need to rollback the graphics driver. If I can do that I am confident that the OS will start with the GUI. OK, how do I do that?

harddriver
December 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Could someone tell me how to roll back the graphics driver so I dont have to do another reinstall?

pastalavista
December 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM
x server is the graphics adapter configuration. try what namdung said. are you using 64 bit version? how about a printout of
lshw