PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] broadcasting a shutdown message to workgroup

dmatthys
December 28th, 2008, 04:40 AM
So here is what I am trying to do. When issue a shutdown command from terminal, ex. sudo shutdown -P 22:35, I am returned the message broadcast message system shutdown in 5 min. That message only appears on my computer running ubuntu 8.10 upgraded from 8.04 via update manager. I would like this message to show up on all the other computers of the work-group as my wife likes to access my 11,000 songs from other areas of the house via her laptop and calling her on our cell phones is really just aggravating. So if I issued the shutdown command 15 minutes away from whatever time it is and that message would show up on her computer she could pause the song until I broad-casted a message saying it was back on-line.

I searched for hours and hours and all I could find was windows work-group tools downloads. The problem is my computer is the main on the work-group and we only have 1 left with windows that we kept around because my school wont let me use Firefox I can only access my work via Internet explorer. Any help would be appreciated.

dmatthys
December 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Anyone I would really like to get this to work.

LiamPreston
December 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
You might consider setting up a Jabber (IM) server. Looks like a lot of fun and very useful too for all sorts of things, including your shutdown announcement.

http://linuxgazette.net/112/tomar.html

dmatthys
December 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
this does look like it will be very useful for what im trying to do not exactly what i was looking for but it will work just fine lol thanx alot the only concern i have with doing this though is will i have to have the system running under jabbers account or can i still run as myself because if so then i have to configure this on the unused "closet desktop" its an old dell i built but works great so we have it hooked up in the walk in

dmatthys
December 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
this will def work i will have to be on the other system as i use the main system regularly

i am still insterested in being able to broadcast a message similar to using netmessage in windows only a linux version and the setup from the link above appears to just be instant messaging which means i will have to send more then one message if there is more then one user on on my network rather than broaddcasting 1 message to several users

i am going to use the link above though as a temporary fix anyone have any other ideas though