PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome boots on top of KDE

Docaltmed
December 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I'm using an HP TX2510 running kernel 2.6.27-11, originally using Gnome desktop.

I added KDE according to instructions, and now when I choose KDE at startup, the KDE desktop will load...and then Gnome loads, and I end up with the Gnome panels on top of the KDE panel. Everything else looks KDE.

What's going on? How do I stop this?

Captain_tux
December 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Can you post a screenshot?

Docaltmed
December 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Here you go:

Docaltmed
December 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM
One other thing. When I log off or shut down, the KDE desktop closes, which reveals my gnome desktop, before logging off. It really does appear that the computer is loading gnome then loading kde on top of that.

I have tried uninstalling the gnome desktop but that didn't change anything. So I reinstalled gnome, and that didn't change anything either.

the yawner
December 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Uhm.. Kindly check if nautilus is running on your KDE session?

Docaltmed
December 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi,

Nautilus is running, as is gnome-panel (there appear to be 2 instances of gnome panel running, both with the same description as "top expanded edge panel".

Just for laughs, I tried killing these processes through the system monitor. They refused to die.

EDIT: I also tried "killall nautilus" in the terminal and then restarting the x-server (ctrl-alt-backspace). Nautilus and the two gnome panels are still there.

Docaltmed
December 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I gave up. There were just too many things going wrong. I did a clean reinstallation of Kubuntu. Now I have other problems, but at least the desktop works.