PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server Uploads

badmelon
December 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hello,

I have a small server setup and I would like to be able to upload files from my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop to it via the internet using a username and password. Basically my own private online backup service. Are there any programs available that will let me do this?

Thoughts and Ideas please....
Cheers!

tuskenraider
December 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
yeah http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ you have to use wine.. but it will work like a champ.

hfs + wine + dyndns + forwarded port = your home server on the internet

tusken

thats what i use btw.

htmlland
December 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
or even a basic FTP server could work too as thats client platform independant and does not need wine installed. Personally i use ProFTPD.

badmelon
December 27th, 2008, 11:48 PM
oh yeah ftp, i forgot that. Does Apache run on ubuntu anyone? or are there better alternatives?

htmlland
December 27th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Of course! Apache can be installed with "apt-get install apache2" I belive.

Michael

badmelon
December 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Can I set up multiple accounts with it, so my family can use it too?

htmlland
December 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
do you mean with proFTPd? Not sure :( sorry I only use it for me :P. This topic might help though http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=79588

badmelon
December 28th, 2008, 12:03 AM
No, I meant in Apache.....

htmlland
December 28th, 2008, 12:11 AM
what do you mean by users? Apache is nothing but a webserver which just displays pages or files in its htdocs! It is a read-only thing in the sameway that a website is. Are yuo thinking of mabye Apache wit hmabye PHP and some file manegment software? In which case the sfotware might come with multiple users.

badmelon
December 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I'm trying to make a basic home server that will give multiple users disk space. So if I logon with my username/password I get the files I uploaded but if someone else logs on they get the files they uploaded but not mine. I want to use Ubuntu 8.10 as the client system and preferably as the host.

badmelon
December 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I just found a useful walkthrough, I'm gonna play with this for a while.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Set-up-your-very-own-Web-server/?ALLSTEPS

htmlland
December 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Then an FTP server software is what would be good for that job :).

There is several FTP server software variations out there its really about picking the one you like.

Just so you know; in case you dont; with ftp the user will simply be able to type into an FTP client (or firefox/windows explorer/internet explorer etc) ftp://server.address and it will ask for a login. If set up right that will then take them to their "space".

Hope it all works :)

Michael

badmelon
December 28th, 2008, 12:31 AM
What are my choices when it comes down to this sort of thing?

htmlland
December 28th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Well personally i use proFTPd but i am not usre if this has multiple users. Try googleing "ubuntu 8.10 ftp server software" and see what comes up :).

Sorry i can't be anymore help :)

Michael

tuskenraider
December 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
or like i said before... you can use the hfs program if you want.. oh idk your grandma to go to your site and look at pictures or what ever. IDK about your grandma but mine doesnt know what FTP is but she can check her email and follow a link that i sent her. HFS will do that for you. mulitiple users upload and download double click the icon and you have a HTTP server up and running.

but thats my 2 cents.

tusken