PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fresh 8.10: no keyboard no mouse at login screen

Falter
December 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
With a fresh install of 8.10 64-bit AMD I get no mouse and no keyboard at login screen.

The same installation worked on the same PC flawlessly but had to make a new install due to an error of mine. Keyboard/mouse are attached via PS2 not via USB. The only thing that works is Ctrl-Alt-F1.

None of the workarounds mentioned in the forum worked (e.g. restarting gdm or moving gdm to the end of the init-scripts).

:confused:

Falter
December 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I messed around with this about 4 hours and now gave up, did a third install and it works now (despite nothing has changed, neither in hardware nor in my install).

Falter
February 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It's so "fascinating"....

I now installed Ubuntu again and guess what: no keyboard, no mouse.

I found this advice:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6373120&postcount=22
tried it and that gave me at least a keyboard, but still no mouse.

BTW, its a simple keyboard/mouse, legacy and no USB. Ctrl-Alt-F1 works.

To be honest, I'm fed up. So many threads about this, many without an answer. If I don't find a solution soon, I will have to setup Fedore which I really didn't want :(

wolfen69
February 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
have you gone into BIOS and checked USB support? it could say legacy USB also.

Falter
February 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for answering!
I tried several BIOS settings, activated USB support (despite of ps2 mouse/keyboard), deactivated it, and so on.

And in terminal mode it works!

Falter
February 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
No one? :(
Another strange thing: using the live dvd both keyboard and mouse work flawlessly. I even tried installing using the live dvd but same problem...

Jonaboff
February 7th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I have the exact same issue on 8.10 i386. I used the alternative installer since my 10 year old laptop didn't have the memory for the graphic installer, so I was thinking it might be a memory issue. The docs say Ubuntu should run with desktop on just 64MB of RAM though, and I have 192MB.

Before the desktop installer failed, I did, however, manage to get Ubuntu to boot live from the CD and I had mouse control then.

Now that I have installed, ubuntu boots to the login screen prompting me for a username. No keyboard or mouse response, except Ctrl + Alt + F[1-8] all switch terminals. In tty1 i am able to type and run commands. The caps, num and scroll lock keys all toggle their respective lights on and off. I have checked the X settings too, and nothing seems amiss.

I am about to try reinstalling.

Falter
February 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Seems you are in the same boat :)
Reinstalling? Did that now more than a dozenz times with different methods (graphical version, text version, first booting live dvd,...)

Jonaboff
February 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Seems you are in the same boat :)
Reinstalling? Did that now more than a dozenz times with different methods (graphical version, text version, first booting live dvd,...)

i solved this by following instructions from another thread

switch to a VT ([CTRL]+[ALT]+[F1]), log in, then
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop killall Xorg

Then
sudo Xorg -configure

Then copy the new configuration fily from your home directory to replace the existing file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hope this works for you

Falter
February 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for answering, but I read every single thread about the topic and already found and tried this - didn't work :(