PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing nVidia 6600GT driver on ubuntu 8.10

mpolizz
December 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Everyone,
Earlier this week, I installed ubuntu 8.10 on my home computer. I then attempted to activate drivers for my nVidia GeForce 6600GT graphics card. Everything appeared normal until I was prompted to restart my computer. Once restarted, ubuntu's graphical user interface failed to load. Instead, I was greeted with a black screen with a command-line login prompt. Before writing this request for help, I searched the web and the ubuntu forums for a solution. I found similar situations but none that matched my exact problem or a solution that worked. Also, my lack of experience on a linux machine does not help the situation :). Any help is very appreciated. To install my driver, I took the following steps:

1. System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.
2. A "Hardware Drivers" window pops-up, which states that, "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system."
3. The "Hardware Drivers" window lists three possible options to select from:
a] NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 173)
b] NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 96)
c] NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 177)[Recommended]
4. I have tested each option and clicked the activate button.
5. The selected driver installs and ubuntu tells me to restart.
6. Upon restart, the GUI fails to load and I am given a command-line login prompt.

Thanks again for any help.

damis648
December 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Well, to get back to the GUI, login then enter in:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
and you should be able to login graphically. Try this: open up a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste in

sudo apt-get install envyng envy-qt
and enter. Once finished, go to Applications>System Tools>Envy and choose to install the nVidia driver. See if that works.

mpolizz
December 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM

and you should be able to login graphically. Try this: open up a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and paste in

and enter. Once finished, go to Applications>System Tools>Envy and choose to install the nVidia driver. See if that works.
Thank you for the quick response. When I ran sudo apt-get install envyng envy-qt in the command line I got the following response:

matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install envyng envy-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package envyng
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$

damis648
December 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Sorry, that should be

sudo apt-get install envyng-core envy-qt

mpolizz
December 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I got the same message:

matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install envyng-core envy-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package envy-qt
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$

damis648
December 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry, I'm really out of it today. :popcorn:

sudo apt-get install envyng-core envyng-qt

taurus
December 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe you don't have all the repos enable in /etc/apt/sources.list.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

damis648
December 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Maybe you don't have all the repos enable in /etc/apt/sources.list.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

No, he does, I'm just really out of it. :popcorn: I forgot the '-core' on the first package and then the 'ng' on the second.

mpolizz
December 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
EvnyNG installed, but nothing occurs when I select it. I performed the following steps:

1. I selected Applications > System Tools > EnvyNG
2. My system prompted me for my password.
3. I entered it and nothing happens.

mpolizz
December 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry, I'm really out of it today. :popcorn:

sudo apt-get install envyng-core envyng-qt
Re: Problem installing nVidia 6600GT driver on ubuntu 8.10
EvnyNG installed, but nothing occurs when I select it. I performed the following steps:

1. I selected Applications > System Tools > EnvyNG
2. My system prompted me for my password.
3. I entered it and nothing happens.

RJARRRPCGP
December 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It's best to reformat and start over then choose the hardware drivers manager. Sorry. :(

Especially when new to Linux.

mpolizz
December 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
So far all past advice has failed. Can anyone confirm that nVidia GeForce 6600GT graphics card will work with ubuntu 8.10? Can anyone point me toward a solution? Should I install a different version of ubuntu or use a different graphics card?

RatherGood
January 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
So far all past advice has failed. Can anyone confirm that nVidia GeForce 6600GT graphics card will work with ubuntu 8.10? Can anyone point me toward a solution? Should I install a different version of ubuntu or use a different graphics card?

Same problem here. System won't load GUI after loading restricted drivers. Envy won't work, etc.

I'm using a 6600GT and a FX 5200 to run three monitors. Had no previous problems under 8.04.

Strelz
January 8th, 2009, 05:42 PM
If you haven't yet solved this problem, try going to the Nvidia driver site, select the driver for your card, download it, and follow the instructions in the readme. You have to get out of Gnome and into a terminal session to do this. I had a problem similar to yours, and installing the proper Nvidia driver rathern than using the one provided by Ubuntu fixed the problem.

-Al

Strelz
January 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
deleted

Strelz
January 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
deleted

Strelz
January 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Web page said I got an error so I clicked again, sorry. Now I'm the one who needs help on how to delete a post.

bucketheadshot
February 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM

hi, i am having the same except problem only i have 2 nvidia 8800gt gfx cards. i tried the first code and it did something then i tried the one that restarts gnome? and i was still at the cli login.

Jesper-L
February 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Just want to say that i had the exact same problem also with gf6600gt. There is still one small chance that its related to my other hardware, but i dont think so.

If you are still following the thread - what motherboard do you have?

bucketheadshot
February 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Just want to say that i had the exact same problem also with gf6600gt. There is still one small chance that its related to my other hardware, but i dont think so.

If you are still following the thread - what motherboard do you have?

me? i have nforce 680i

Glyfada13
December 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hello , I am new user in Ubuntu and as result i make an account in the forum.I have a problem with my Nvidia 6600GT drivers.I search for similar problems but I did not found something usefull.

I monitor is located more in the right side and as result I can not see the full icons.Also when I try to change the resolution I get a message which says:

"It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?"

Anyone to help me?The font size is very small and I want to kick it... :?