PDA

View Full Version : Spoken/written languages

anewguy
December 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I know this probably doesn't belong here anywhere, but I had to make a comment.

I am AMAZED at the people from all over the world who come to these forums and are able to communicate in English. Don't get me wrong - I'm not an English bigot by any means!! I just don't seem to have the ability to learn a 2nd language and I am amazed at those who can. To use a non-native language and be able to post here where things are technical is just beyond my comprehension.

You all have my utmost respect!

Dave :)

clive littlewood
December 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
+1

Fabulous International Community :guitar:

Clive

northern lights
December 27th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Too true.

But wouldn't this be better placed in the Cafe?

Nepherte
December 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
When the language you speak isn't used in other countries you often don't have a choice. When there are several official languages in your country, you simply don't have choice.

SonnHalter
December 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ich spreche klein deutsche

I'm in german 1 in high school top of the class too :P

perce
December 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just don't seem to have the ability to learn a 2nd language and I am amazed at those who can.

Everybody can, it only takes time.

northern lights
December 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM

If you can handle correction, absolutely right would be

"Du sprichst ein klein wenig Deutsch."
or "Du sprichst ein bisschen Deutsch."

"klein" is the literal out-of-context translation of "little" indeed, but the two above forms would actually be used in German.
While "I speak little German" works in English, it'd have to be "a little" or "a little bit" in German...

namegame
December 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM

In addition to what Northernlights said, in your sentence "deutsche" would be an adjective.

For example, "german food" would be "deutches Essen."

All nouns in German are capitalized.

so, something like, "Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch."

I've taken German since I was a freshman in high school. I'm now in College and German Language is my minor, although I'm thinking of switching to a Double Major scenario. Computer Science/German

:p

northern lights
December 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I've taken German since I was a freshman in high school. I'm now in College and German Language is my minor, although I'm thinking of switching to a Double Major scenario. Computer Science/German
Ever been to mainland Europe?
From my experience, you can learn a language fairly well in educational institutes, but the final touches, especially when it comes to pronunciation, are much more easily acquired when staying in a place where the language in question is spoken 24/7.

When I first hit the states I was not only always recognized as a foreigner, but most often also as a native German, just by my accent. Last summer I was traveling the Midwest and asked whether I was from Brooklyn.
I threw a party. That one really made my day.

If you'd ever need a place to stay in northern Germany, drop me a line.

namegame
December 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ever been to mainland Europe?

Not yet, although I'm considering studying abroad or possibly an internship with a German Corporation. My college is very helpful when it comes to arranging things like that.

dannytatom
December 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I want to learn Icelandic, but as of now, English is all I know. :(

Lostincyberspace
December 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I took up though the fourth level of German at my school, so I can get by pretty well. My vocabulary needs work. But I think if I moved over there I would be fine(pretty fluent) with in a month or so.

I am also learning Japanese. I started to do Chinese but my head started getting confused between it and japanese.

poisonkiller
December 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I'm learning Estonian (native language), English, Russian, German and Japanese (from animes and mangas :D). In 10th grade (still a ninth-grader at the moment) I'll probably have to start with French, too. :lolflag:

EDIT: I just read the previous post again; what is fourth level German?

Lostincyberspace
December 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Normally to get to that level you needed to take 4 years but I skipped a year. So I only had 3 years.

speedwell68
December 27th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I can speak, read and write english. I can understand spoken Dutch, but not written and I can understand some written Cornish.

cariboo
December 27th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I was born and grew up in Canada, but I have family in the Netherlands. I spoke a Dutch dialect that noone seems to speak anymore until I was 4 years old. Now when I go over there for a visit most of my cousins would rather practice their english than speak Dutch. In their school system it is mandatory to learn at least english, and usually one or two others. In my experience as soon as people find out I'm Canadian they want to speak to me in English, which makes it hard to brush up on my dutch.

Jim

Kingsley
December 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I can understand Igbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_language) almost perfectly, but find it hard to speak.

anewguy
December 28th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Interesting respones. I really have tried learning another language (5 years of Spanish and I can almost say "the bathroom and the bedrooms are upstairs" - pretty handy in normal conversation :) ).

My family was of Danish ancestry, and Dane was always spoken at my g-grandparents along with English. I always wanted to learn it but just couldn't never pick up on it - I think I'm missing a link in my brain somewhere! One Christmas my grandpa was talking to some cousins in Denmark and just handed me the phone - I was dumbfounded and wanted to learn - just never could. I think it takes a special aptitude to do so.

Dave

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 28th, 2008, 03:03 AM
i am still workin on my japanese. i am fluent in English, Tamil&Hindi (Tamil- my dad's side, its an ancient south indian language, Hindi -the national language of India), Navajo -from my mom's side, German - since i have been living here for the last seven years. i can understand basic japanese, but i am currently putting a lot of effort to be able to speak. but i never felt good about not having learnt Japanese, since my dad is half Jap and he never forced me to learn Japanese alongside Tamil!

Kingsley
December 28th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Interesting respones. I really have tried learning another language (5 years of Spanish and I can almost say "the bathroom and the bedrooms are upstairs" - pretty handy in normal conversation :) ).

My family was of Danish ancestry, and Dane was always spoken at my g-grandparents along with English. I always wanted to learn it but just couldn't never pick up on it - I think I'm missing a link in my brain somewhere! One Christmas my grandpa was talking to some cousins in Denmark and just handed me the phone - I was dumbfounded and wanted to learn - just never could. I think it takes a special aptitude to do so.

Dave
Your parents speaking Danish to each other regularly would've done the trick. :guitar: