PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu without CD?

Maqz447
December 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hi folks. I'm trying to install 8.10 server edition on an oldish IBM NetVista. This is turning out to be easier said than done though, as it seems impossible to get the machine to boot from the CD drive. It seemingly just ignores the bios boot order settings and merrily boots me into Windows even if I disable booting from the hard drive entirely.

So I was wondering, is there any way to install Ububntu without using the CD? My guess is "no", but I'm asking anyway.

damis648
December 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM
That is quite odd... have you tried updating the BIOS? You could also try this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot) guide, as long as the machine can do a network boot.

Maqz447
December 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it later when I have the time.

Hydrid
December 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Another tip is to open the case and see if the jumper at the cd rom is set correctly to cable select or master.

Biznarie
December 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
A lot of those IBM's have problems booting off the CD drive but usually I can get it to work just by retrying, if thats not working you might want to try booting off a USB thumb drive.