PDA

View Full Version : PHP- Best Way To Build Dynamic Query

s.fox
December 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hi,

I have written some php that builds a dynamic query by comparing every word in a string to several different database fields. The string can be any length. This script does work and produces the correct SQL but I wondered if it was the 'best' way of doing it. Any comments would be appreciated.

<?php
#get text string
$text = "This is some text";
#find out how many words are in the string
$count = count(explode(" ", $text));
#remove one because loop plays up later otherwise.
$count = $count -1;
#explode the string into an array
$part=explode(" ", $text);
#start of sql
$startSQL = 'select * from table WHERE ';

#build dynamic sql and compare every word in the original string to several different fields
for ( $counter = 0; $counter <= $count; $counter += 1) {
$loopingSQL .= "field1 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
$loopingSQL .= "field2 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
$loopingSQL .= "field3 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
}
#tidy up the end of the looping sql by removing the last OR from the end of the string
$loopingSQL = substr_replace($loopingSQL ,"",-3);
#concatenate $startSQL with $loopingSQL
$completeSQL = $startSQL.$loopingSQL;
#echo out finished sql
echo $completeSQL;
?>

Dr Small
December 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
That's actually a very interesting concept. I should try something like that for a search query.

s.fox
December 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I thought maybe some people would use an array to do this sort of thing. When I am done with this search function I am going to make a little more complex by using it with ajax so the end user doesn't have to click submit all the time.

Before I do that however I need to filter out certain words such as "a" and "the". I could do a string replace at the beginning of the script but again I am not sure if its the best way of handling the problem.

Reiger
December 27th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I have written some php that builds a dynamic query by comparing every word in a string to several different database fields. The string can be any length. This script does work and produces the correct SQL but I wondered if it was the 'best' way of doing it. Any comments would be appreciated.

<?php
#find out how many words are in the string
$count = count(explode(" ", $text));
#remove one because loop plays up later otherwise.
$count = $count -1;

#build dynamic sql and compare every word in the original string to several different fields
for ( $counter = 0; $counter <= $count; $counter += 1) {
$loopingSQL .= "field1 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
$loopingSQL .= "field2 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
$loopingSQL .= "field3 LIKE ".'"%'."$part[$counter]".'%"'." OR ";
}

You could generalize this further (saves the expensive count() call too):

$num_fields = 3; // app/db logic known to programmer beforehand...
$base = 1; // app/db logic: a 0-based or 1-based indexed array of fields?
foreach($fieldNum=$base;$fieldNum<($base+$num_fields),$fieldNum++)
foreach($part as $counter=> $value)
$loopingSQL.="field$fieldNum LIKE \"%$value%\" OR ";

EDIT: An interesting variation to the theme I personally use for XPATH queries is to use the $k=>$v pairs of PHP arrays for some runtime magic:

/*
Compile parametrised xpath query strings; by using a keyed $xpath_args array to provide substitutes for variable content.
*/
function compileXPATHQuery($xpath_args) {
$query=array(
'download'=>'/trace/download[id/text() = \'$id\' or name/text() = \'$name\']',
'insert'=>'/trace',
'base_id'=>'/trace/@count',
'find_count'=>'/trace/download[count/text() = \'$count\']',
'find_date'=>'/trace/download[date/text() = \'$date\']',
'find_url'=>'/trace/download[url/text() = \'$url\']'
);

foreach(array('key','id','name','count','date','ur l') as $var)
eval("\$$var = isset(\$xpath_args['$var']) ? \$xpath_args['$var'] : -1;");

if($key != -1)
eval('$query="'.$query[$key].'";');
else
$query=false;

return $query;
}

s.fox
December 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
You could generalize this further (saves the expensive count() call too):

$num_fields = 3; // app/db logic known to programmer beforehand...
$base = 1; // app/db logic: a 0-based or 1-based indexed array of fields?
foreach($fieldNum=$base;$fieldNum<($base+$num_fields),$fieldNum++)
foreach($part as $counter=> $value)
$loopingSQL.="field$fieldNum LIKE \"%$value%\" OR ";

Not a bad idea, thanks. Unfortunately I can't use the first loop because the fields aren't called field1-3. Second loop is viable though.

Incidently by expensive do you mean in terms of memory use?

Once again, thanks for your thoughts

EDIT: I have never used XPATH before. Time for a little read methinks :)

Thanks

Reiger
December 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Not a bad idea, thanks. Unfortunately I can't use the first loop because the fields aren't called field1-3. Second loop is viable though.

Ah well, you can always create an array of field names:
foreach(array(/*insert names*/) as $fieldName). And then replace the "field$fieldNum" bit with "$fieldName". ;)

Incidently by expensive do you mean in terms of memory use?

No, not really. (unless it is both recursively implemented and you're traversing a *very* large array; in which case you may smash the stack) Given the capabilities of a PHP array I would assume that it is based on a recursive data structure like a B+ Tree, though.\

Anyways: what I meant is that counting all items in an array sounds suspiciously resource-consuming (a large array is a large amount of wasted clock cycles if you can avoid it) to me; I try to avoid those functions as much as possible -- and if I know I'll be traversing the exact same array just a milisecond later on, the foreach() syntax let's me do that.

s.fox
December 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
No, not really. (unless it is both recursively implemented and you're traversing a *very* large array; in which case you may smash the stack) Given the capabilities of a PHP array I would assume that it is based on a recursive data structure like a B+ Tree, though.\

Anyways: what I meant is that counting all items in an array sounds suspiciously resource-consuming (a large array is a large amount of wasted clock cycles if you can avoid it) to me; I try to avoid those functions as much as possible -- and if I know I'll be traversing the exact same array just a milisecond later on, the foreach() syntax let's me do that.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Much appreciated.

Can anyone think of a better way to exclude certain words from the search? The only ways I can think of is string replace or some sort of array, although the array may make things overly complicated.

Many thanks.