PDA

View Full Version : Patent laws

Grant A.
December 27th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I think patent laws should really be revised, because currently, you can patent something even if you do not own the Intellectual Property in its entirety. People keep whining and complaining about it, but the thing is that the law will never be revised unless you become active and talk to your lawmakers about it. The patent issues have gotten ridiculous and with the recent patent lawsuit against Google, Microsoft, and Apple over image previews (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10129022-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5), things just seem like they will get worse.

The patent systems in all countries started out as ways for inventors to protect their rights, but unfortunately it seems that greed, recessions, and tanking stocks have corrupted to patent system and have destroyed the moral fiber and integrity that software companies once had.

This is why I am asking, nay, imploring, that everyone start petitions, write letters, just do something to revise the patent laws, or remove software patents all together! Developing countries depend on free software and due to most of the Free and open source software organizations living in "patent warzones", these distributors will shut down and these countries will no longer have any way to obtain their Free and open source software.

So please, write to your local lawmakers and make petitions (real ones, not online ones as they hold little weight), to revise software patent laws so that we can keep our freedom. Software should truly be unpatentable. Currently there are 300 lobbyists for every lawmaker, and unless you get the word out to stop software patents, the lobbyists who are paid by the greedy companies trying to use patents as unlawful monopolistic practices will just keep winning. The Free Software Foundation cannot do it alone! The Free and open source software community has given so much to you, isn't it time you gave some back?

Grant A.
December 28th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Wow, I am stunned. I posted this almost a day ago, and none but two voices of agreement? Is this the true Linux community? A group of cowards who leave trying to save their cherished operating system to a group of 100 people (The Free Software Foundation). Microsoft has hundreds, possibly around a thousand lobbyists being paid to pump information into lawmaker's heads. Microsoft constantly claims that Linux infringes over 200+ of its patents, and you sit there and do nothing while they claim royalties from Linux distributors such as Novell and Xandros?! The least you could do would be to write a letter to your lawmakers that would take 20 minutes of your time. The Free Software Foundation is trying constantly to save Linux's good name while you just sit there and reap the once-a-year successes!

Well you know what? I pity you. I pity you all, have you learned nothing from years of schooling? Did you not learn the fact that people who didn't stand up for their rights were crushed and oppressed? The United States is a democracy, and so are the countries of the European Union! You can write letters, you can start petitions. The government of a market economy is much stronger than people think, if we got enough signatures on a real-life petition, we could get the government to make Microsoft reveal all of the patents that Microsoft is claiming Linux infringes. Why? Because what Microsoft is doing is putting heavy pressure on competitors, without giving ways to fix the problem. This is a form of monopolistic behavior and should be stopped. The hands of democratic government relies on the people! Without you, the corporations will keep getting stronger and this "Free" software you love so much will cease to exist!

If Microsoft revealed the patents infringed, then the Linux community would quickly replace them with Free alternatives, and Microsoft would have no more leverage.

If Microsoft sues a single Linux user, then Novell, IBM, Redhat, and Sun will sue Microsoft for all of the patents it may infringe. Novell and IBM have a particularly high amount of leverage here because of IBM patents Microsoft may have infringed during the DOS era, and Novell because of all of the networking patents it owns. This patent war would cause the companies to die picking at each other's throats. Do you really want this to happen? The end of the IT industry? I love Microsoft, I am not afraid to say that. I love Free and Open Source software. Both have made good contributions to the software world, but one is being constantly tormented while the other sits still preparing for a future patent war. I don't want the end of the IT industry, I want all IT companies to flourish with no monopolistic practices.

If this is what the Linux community has become, a bunch of spineless cowards not defending themselves, then I want no part of it.

So please, write to your lawmakers and politicians and write petitions about getting Microsoft to disclose this information, for if we can solve this problem, then Linux's name will be cleared, along with other Free and Open Source projects.

Would some of the greatest men ever to live not agree?

Take sides! Silence only encourages the tormentor!

Give me liberty or give me death!

The community has given so much to you, yet you just take it without giving back? The developers are smart, I believe that they could find new ways to implement things without infringing patents.

Kopachris
December 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Hey, chill out! :) You only got 54 view (last I checked) on this thread. The vast majority of topics are usually just skimmed over and not replied to often.

Anyway, I agree with you. Software patents should be abolished. After all, software is merely a collection of 1s and 0s, essentially the same as a bunch of text. Software should be copyrighted, but not patented. If you can take an idea and create your own way of implementing it, you should be more than welcome to. After all, if it weren't for free software (free as in freedom, not free beer), the world as we know it would not exist. There would be little or no internet, software in general would be overpriced and of low quality. Science would also be a little bit behind what it is today because supercomputers would be of lower quality due to price restrictions on the need to develop in-house operating systems or buy the same.

SonnHalter
December 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
hopefully with obama things will change. i want to change copyright laws.

saulgoode
December 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, I am stunned. I posted this almost a day ago, and none but two voices of agreement? Is this the true Linux community?
Providing opinions on legal matters is prohibited on Ubuntuforums.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5942298&postcount=46). So I'm guessing the answer to your second question is, no.

Kopachris
December 28th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Providing opinions on legal matters is prohibited on Ubuntuforums.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5942298&postcount=46).

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.

Almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed, except for politics directly related to free and open source issues. Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks!
I don't know if that's definitive or not, but...

saulgoode
December 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I did not intend to imply that the original post was in violation of forum policy, merely to explain why there has been little response to his post. It is rather difficult to discuss the changing of existing laws when you are forbidden from discussing them.

Capt. Mac
December 28th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Well you know what? I pity you. I pity you all, have you learned nothing from years of schooling? Did you not learn the fact that people who didn't stand up for their rights were crushed and oppressed? The United States is a democracy, and so are the countries of the European Union! You can write letters, you can start petitions.

Maybe you misread the constitution? The United States is a republic, as are the majority of the countries in the EU. Not that I disagree with the content of your post.

koenn
December 28th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Is this the true Linux community? A group of cowards ... you sit there and do nothing ... you just sit there and reap the once-a-year successes!

Well you know what? I pity you. I pity you all, have you learned nothing from years of schooling? ....

a bunch of spineless cowards

yeah, insults, always works to rally support ...

LinuxGuy1234
December 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I take a further step. The patent system should be abolished.

The patent law is not here for greedy people to get greedy money!

Npl
December 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
There are things worth patenting. Like RSA, elliptic curves in cryptography, compression algorithms. The difference to bogus patents is that those are nontrivial.
I`d even rate patents more important than copyright, the sad thing is that the patentsystem currently is horribly broken, granting patents to trivial and overly broad reaching things.

Grant A.
December 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
If you agreed with my posts, then I would like to ask that everyone write a letter to congress to get Microsoft to reveal the infringing patents or make them abolished all together, or atleast the silly ones, such as the IsNot operator.

utnubuuser
January 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Happy New Year!

To preserve software freedom, if letter-writing isn't your thing, buy a FSF(http://shop.fsf.org/) product. Like a T-shirt, or book. They've also got some very nice lapel pins.
Same for Ubuntu, They've got some very nice accessories at their shop.
A couple dollars can go a long way if they're spent in the right place.