PDA

View Full Version : Where are the KDE music players?

xeriouxi
December 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
As most of you will know, Amarok 2 was released earlier this month and there have been some mixed reviews about it. I'm personally not a huge fan of the new interface and it got me thinking about what possible alternatives there are when using KDE...

If I wanted to change my default music player in Gnome to something other than Rhythmbox then I could choose from applications such as Exaile, Songbird, Banshee, etc. but if I wanted to do the same in KDE then there's not really any choice but to use the default Amarok. I know I can use the Gnome (or, to be more precise, GTK) applications in KDE, but the use of Qt-based applications do have their advantages in terms of integration and only needing one set of libraries to be loaded, etc.

I personally think it would be good to have some competition in the KDE music player market... what do you think? =D

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I personally think it would be good to have some competition in the KDE music player market... what do you think? =D

That you're free to make your own.

Kingsley
December 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Amarok was so awesome for the past couple of years. I never thought about there being other native KDE music players.

billgoldberg
December 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I seem to remember an audio player with "dragon" in it's name.

Check synaptic for qt audio players.

Songbird isn't a gtk app.

sujoy
December 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM
just get mpd with ncmpcpp or a qt frontend :)

Half-Left
December 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Amarok does the job so well you dont need a load of other players that duplicate each other. Yes you have Dragon player (more a media player) and you have JuK and now VLC.

xeriouxi
December 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Not everyone is a programmer, though. I wasn't complaining about the lack of options, per se, I was just trying to see what the community thought about the subject.

Amarok does the job so well you dont need a load of other players that duplicate each other. Yes you have Dragon player (more a media player) and you have JuK and now VLC.

Amarok does indeed to a good job, but I know some people don't like the new interface and so they might be looking for alternative music players.

chucky chuckaluck
December 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
does amarok have a streamripper plugin yet?

p_quarles
December 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
does amarok have a streamripper plugin yet?

Has for a while:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/amaroK-Scripts/StreamRecorder-38013.shtml

Juk is another relatively simple KDE4-based music player. Juk was also available for KDE3, as was Noatun.

xeriouxi
December 27th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Juk is another relatively simple KDE4-based music player.

I just took a look at the screenshots for this and it looks interesting... thanks for the push in the right direction, p_quarles!

karellen
December 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM

very helpful. especially considering it comes from a member of Ubuntu's forum staff

chucky chuckaluck
December 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Has for a while:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/amaroK-Scripts/StreamRecorder-38013.shtml

thanks.

happysmileman
December 27th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I seem to remember an audio player with "dragon" in it's name.[/I]

Dragon Player is my video player, I'm sure it can be used for audio too, but it's designed to be very simple player, and mainly for just one-off playing of files, doesn't support playlists or anything.

jrusso2
December 27th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I always thought Kaffeine was part of KDE 3.

bailout
December 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I always thought Kaffeine was part of KDE 3.

It is, hasn't been ported to kde 4 yet though.

Corfy
December 28th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I don't think this is a KDE app per se, but you may want to check out Songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com). Unfortunately, it isn't in the repositories yet (or wasn't a few weeks ago, anyway... I assume it still isn't there). I have played around a little bit with it on my Windows machine and I like what I have seen so far.

xeriouxi
December 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I don't think this is a KDE app per se, but you may want to check out Songbird (http://www.getsongbird.com).

Songbird, I believe, is built on the XUL engine that Firefox uses, and whilst that isn't technically a GTK-based app, it does require the GTK libraries AFAIK.

I'd just like to reiterate again that the original point of this thread was not to complain or have a rant or anything... I was just wondering if there was a reason why there are a lack of alternate music players that are Qt-based compared to the range that are GTK-based... =)