PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Chains or Metallica?

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I personally like both. but to me, the edge goes to alice. they have some haunting lyrics.

please don't ask me to start a poll. respond. type. \\:D/

jpmelos
December 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Metallica for me! It makes a draw for now! :D

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM
None. I dislike them both.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:23 AM
None. I dislike them both.

i wasn't asking you.

SunnyRabbiera
December 27th, 2008, 06:24 AM
The choices given Alice and Chains as Metallica sold out to the RIAA

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM
i wasn't asking you.

I don't need your permission. ;)

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:25 AM
i don't want this to turn ugly, talk about your fav songs from either band.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
The choices given Alice and Chains as Metallica sold out to the RIAA

do you ever loosen up and have fun?

jpmelos
December 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Kids! Stop fighting, c'mon! Each for your room, now!

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
i don't want this to turn ugly, talk about your fav songs from either band.

The Call of Cthuluby Metallica has nice parts, especialy towards the end, it reminds me of Satie sometimes. That's pretty much about it.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Kids! Stop fighting, c'mon! Each for your room, now!

this is too much fun, i dont quit.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:34 AM
but to get back to the original question, Alice or Metallica? it's like picking between air and water. they're both great.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:36 AM
"one" from "and justice for all" is one of the best.

SunnyRabbiera
December 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
err why all the posts, this isnt a chatroom you know.
There is an edit button

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:42 AM
but to get back to the original question, Alice or Metallica? it's like picking between air and water. they're both great.

err why all the posts, this isnt a chatroom you know.
There is an edit button

thank you for that life changing info.

i'll post all i want to. and yes, this is a chatroom in a sense. you need to chill.

Bachstelze
December 27th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Can we please get back on topic? It is very funny to hear people talking about bad music.

SunnyRabbiera
December 27th, 2008, 06:44 AM
thank you for that life changing info.

i'll post all i want to. and yes, this is a chatroom in a sense. you need to chill.

The thing is that its not a good idea, a lot of sensitive mods you know.
And no a chatroom is much different, you are not in a live conversation here so you dont need to make message after message.
Look I just dont want you to get into trouble.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Look I just dont want you to get into trouble.

then stop typing.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Again is good.

SuperSonic4
December 27th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Metallica. My personal favourites:

One
Fade to Black
Master of Puppets
The Day that never comes
Enter Sandman
The unforgiven
For whom the bell tolls

RiceMonster
December 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I don't think either are good bands, but if it came down to it, I'd take Metallica, because they have some songs that are ok, despite how overrated they may be.

67GTA
December 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I'd have to go with Metallica. They would kick Alice's a@#:lolflag:

p_quarles
December 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hüsker Dü

venator260
December 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I don't care what Metallica did afterwards, the fact that they wrote Master of Puppets (album) makes them win over most bands. I like AIC, but they get boring for me after awhile.

I-75
December 27th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Alice In Chains is the Led Zeppelin of the 90's. I think "SAP" was among their best albums, despite not being their biggest seller. AIC is the premier rock band of the grunge era.

Favorite Tunes

Got me wrong
Man in a Box
Fear the voices
Again
Would
Am I Inside
Right Turn
Brother
No Excuses
Rooster
*Distance Aside

* There are some who say it wasn't Alice In Chains who recorded "Distance Aside", but another band called "Thread". I included it as Alice in Chains because I have been listening to it for years and always believed it to AIC. Many still believe it is AIC. For more on this matter...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alice-Chains-3293/f_3705336_57791.htm

Metallica is OK, I never thought them more than just another rock band...

Favorites

No Leaf Clover
I Disappear
Until It Sleeps
Nothing Else matters

I think Metallica hurt themselves by going after Napster and infuriating their fans in the process. Instead of trying to be innovative and selling their music online (at the time), or trying to make deals with Napster...they took the other path.

bufsabre666
December 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
im not a huge fan of either but id have to pick metallica cause they have alot more songs i can jam too (listening to their cover of whiskey in the jar right now)

speedwell68
December 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Metallica, never liked AIC. Everything that Metallica did upto 1988 was truly awesome, peerless infact. Everything since has just been commercial pap.

Capt. Mac
December 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'll give it to Alice in Chains. I've seen them both in concert, they both performed extraordinarily well, but AiC had a better t-shirt :lolflag:

Northsider
December 28th, 2008, 05:38 AM
How can you compare? They have 2 VERY distinct sounds and styles. If I was asked cheesecake or pizza I guess I'd have to say pizza, but I certainly love both.

NewJack
December 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM
First of all, Metallica. I love AIC a lot, but Metallica would whip their asses.

This made me LOL though:

Metallica is OK, I never thought them more than just another rock band...

Favorites

No Leaf Clover
I Disappear
Until It Sleeps
Nothing Else matters

I know you are entitled to your opinion, but come on. Just another ROCK BAND???? You have to be kidding me? Have you listened to anything from 1988 and earlier? Not that they haven't made any good songs since '88 (they have).

Metallica isn't even my favorite metal band, but......

Here are my favs (No particular order):

Four Horsemen
Whiplash
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Creeping Death
Master of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Blackend
Harvester of Sorrow
One
Sad But True
Wherever I May Roam
King Nothing
Fuel
Some Kind of Monster
My Apocalypse

BatsotO
December 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Metallica, when Dave mustain was still with them.
If you like 4 horseman, you should hear megadeth plays mechanix, that's how that song should be played.

Tim Sharitt
December 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I love Metallica, but I have to give the nod to Alice in Chains.

NewJack
December 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Metallica, when Dave mustaine was still with them.
If you like 4 horseman, you should hear megadeth plays mechanix, that's how that song should be played.

Agreed. Megadeth is one of my favorites. Dave never compromised his sound. Can wait for the new album in 2009.

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Agreed. Megadeth is one of my favorites. Dave never compromised his sound. Can wait for the new album in 2009.

There is at least one thing Megadeth deserve a credit for: they got the world's best drummer to play on one of their albums. :p

Otherwise, I don't see much difference with Metallica, it's still trash metal crap.

BatsotO
December 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
There is at least one thing Megadeth deserve a credit for: they got the world's best drummer to play on one of their albums. :p

Otherwise, I don't see much difference with Metallica, it's still trash metal crap.

Not just one, here is another world's best drummer played for megadeth
That is mike portnoy of dream theater. That's is 2 credits, and this one plays for free, the other one cost a fortune.

kzlazy
December 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Perhaps not of this topic but one of the best drummers should be Mark "thunderchild" Zonder (Warlord, Fates Warning). His Warlord era was a masterpiece...

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Not just one, here is another world's best drummer played for megadeth
That is mike portnoy of dream theater. That's is 2 credits, and this one plays for free, the other one cost a fortune.

I'm sorry but no. Portnoy is a very good drummer. Colaiuta is the Chopin of drums.

xArv3nx
December 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Can you get out of this thread? I think you've expressed your opinion, and that's definitely _NOT_ what this topic is about.

Just leave.

BatsotO
December 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry but no. Portnoy is a very good drummer. Colaiuta is the Chopin of drums.

Then let's say portnoy is the bach :lolflag:

cb951303
December 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I like both very much and I'm a little surprised because "Nutshell" and "Down In a Hole" from AIC aren't listed yet.

Bachstelze
December 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Just leave.

http://www.alwaysbeta.com/wp-content/uploads/zbrock/do_not_want.jpg

Sand & Mercury
December 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I like both very much and I'm a little surprised because "Nutshell" and "Down In a Hole" from AIC aren't listed yet.
Nutshell and Rotten Apple are probably my two fave AIC songs

I love both bands but lately I've been listening to Alice flat-out. Some of it is just so beautiful and depressing. Layne's voice is haunting.

Since people are talking about 'Deth, I'll throw in my $0.02: I believe they were great until Youthanasia, then went into a steady downhill slide. Their recent efforts at going back to thrash have been a marked failure imo, Dave Mustaine is lacking the instability and the fury that made stuff like PSBWB and RIP so intense and great. Now he's just rehashing so that he can get back in touch with his old audience and I've lost a great deal of respect for him and the band now. I say this is one who's grown up with the band and know their discography inside out.

cb951303
December 28th, 2008, 12:04 PM
OOT: AIC MTV Unplugged was one of the best unplugged performances I've ever seen. I highly recommend everyone that likes AIC to watch it.

BatsotO
December 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Since people are talking about 'Deth, I'll throw in my $0.02: I believe they were great until Youthanasia, then went into a steady downhill slide. Their recent efforts at going back to thrash have been a marked failure imo, Dave Mustaine is lacking the instability and the fury that made stuff like PSBWB and RIP so intense and great. Now he's just rehashing so that he can get back in touch with his old audience and I've lost a great deal of respect for him and the band now. I say this is one who's grown up with the band and know their discography inside out.

Yes, true, i can't dig in to their latest songs, and youthanasia is the last deth album i bought, PSBW and RIP is good, if not the best, both poland and marty have the style. IMO both makes hammet sounds like a guitar student.
Same for metallica, i can really dig anything after black album, that na na na na thing is scaring me of.

NewJack
December 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
'Deth's United Abominations is a good album from their post-Youthanasia discography.

Oh BTW, I do have to give AIC something over Metallica. Their Unplugged performance on MTV was one of the best live performances. I don't ever buy live CD's at all, but I do own that one. Metallica puts on a great concert, but that performance by AIC in that intimate setting was great.

toupeiro
December 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Alice in Chains was my most favorite band growing up. I liked Metallica, but not to the levels of AiC.

Fav. Alice in Chains tracks:

Man in the Box
Love, Hate, Love
I' Can't Remember
Sunshine
We Die Young
Dam the River
Sickman
Rain when I die
Rooster
Angry Chair
Down in a Hole
~~The Entire Jar of Flies album and Sap EP~~
Right Turn
Over Now
Heaven Beside You
Sludge Factory
Social Parasite

I was also a really big fan of Layne's side project, Mad Season:

Wake Up
Artificial Red
River of Deceit
Long Gone Day

And as far as best drummers go ... uhh... Mike Portnoy!

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drumpics7/MikePORTNOY2.jpg!

RATM_Owns
December 28th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Metallica.

Even though Man in the Box is awesome...

But Rage Against the Machine and Tool win. :P

BatsotO
December 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
My vote :