PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can I ugrade to Intrepid _without_ updating Hardy first ?

oygle
December 27th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Have a 64-bit Ubuntu with Hardy, and no updates for about 3 months or more.

Would like to upgrade it to Intrepid, and have downloaded ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso , which I understand will contain 'most' of the .debs required for an upgrade to Intrepid.

Do I have to bring Hardy up to date first ?

Oygle

cariboo
December 27th, 2008, 08:46 AM
You need to upgrade your version fully before considering an update, and then you can't skip versions when updating to a newer version. If you've got the alternate CD I would suggest doing a clean installation after backing up your important data.

Jim

oygle
December 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
You need to upgrade your version fully before considering an update, and then you can't skip versions when updating to a newer version.

Isn't a Hardy ==> Intrepid called an upgrade ?? (i.e. not an update)

To me, an update is applied to a version, for example, every few days, there are several updates to do/apply ?

I realise these are just words, but I need to understand the terminology first, please

If you've got the alternate CD I would suggest doing a clean installation after backing up your important data.

To do a fresh install, don't I need the file 'ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso' though, not the alternate ?

Oygle

shafi
December 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Yes , It is,
to call an upgrade go to System -> Administration -> Update Manager

or run the following command in terminal:

gksu "update-manager -c"

I also recommend to do a clean installation via CD.
this is the link, only select the 64 bit version if you need.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Partyboi2
December 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM

To me, an update is applied to a version, for example, every few days, there are several updates to do/apply ?

I realise these are just words, but I need to understand the terminology first, please
Moving from hardy to intrepid is a upgrade.

To do a fresh install, don't I need the file 'ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso' though, not the alternate ? No you don't, you can use the alternate cd to upgrade a current install of ubuntu to the next release or you can use it to do a fresh install.

oygle
December 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
No you don't, you can use the alternate cd to upgrade a current install of ubuntu to the next release or you can use it to do a fresh install.

Okay thanks. Would I need to apply all the Hardy updates, prior to using the alternate CD to upgrade to Intrepid ?

Oygle

Partyboi2
December 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Okay thanks. Would I need to apply all the Hardy updates, prior to using the alternate CD to upgrade to Intrepid ?

Oygle
Yes it is advised to be current with all the updates before doing a upgrade to Intrepid.