PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE session/desktop freezes after login/startup

crazups
December 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Ok, this is my first time ever posting in any forum of any sort because I usually can figure out my problems by simply searching other forums, but I'm stumped. My problem is with my KDE Session. As soon as I log in I get my cool looking desktop, mouse pointer with a bouncy icon under it (looks like a gear i think it's the settings icon) then my other icons begin to load up in my panel. Within 5 seconds the icon under my mouse pointer stops bouncing and I can't left click or right click , my icons stop loading i only get one or two on my panel. I can however see my desktop and all else that belongs, I can move my mouse, I canl control alt F1 - 12 and get a terminal and switch to a dos looking screen and login but I can't do anything on the KDE desktop or session. If you couldn't tell I'm a newbie. Some recent changes Ive made was to install fglrx drivers for my ATI Radeon HD2400 trying to keep my Compiz working. Which I was able to do! But then I got greedy trying to configure my screensaver. I couldn't remember how to access the settings for that (of course i've figured it out now) so I changed my display manager from kdm to gdm and restarted and now when I log into a KDE session it freezes, but a gnome session doesn't freeze. Also possible worth noting i went and installed kubuntu thinkin it would fix the problem since i installed KDE using sudo apt-get install kde. I'm about to "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" to reconfigure xorg. I did a back-up at some point today but can't remember why but it's not in the X11 directory like I thought it would be. Please help because I've already messed up my other two computers trying find a solution and one of them is the ol' lady's computer!! Hurry, she's off work in 12hrs!!#-o

crazups
December 27th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Alright!!....still batting 1.000 in resolving my own issuses!! It turns out that "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" solved the problem. Things look some what different than the way I left them but it's atleast working. Lost my Compiz effects, but I'll try it again tomorrow. I hope this helps anyone having the same issuse. Time to create a xorg.conf_backup while I can!!....HAHA!!