PDA

View Full Version : best os for learning to program?

SonnHalter
December 27th, 2008, 04:17 AM
linux windows mac

I want to learn html/css/javascript and C

so what are your opions

Redache
December 27th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Linux as we have the GCC :D.

It depends on what OS you want to write Software for, if you'll probably be writing applications for Windows then learn on that.

cmat
December 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Depends on the language. For C I would say linux not out of bias but because most the tools are there for you already. With Windows there aren't many decent ones other that Visual Studio but that costs money. Setting up the environment variables and paths isn't really fun either. I've never tried Mac OS X for programming so I wouldn't know there.

Frak
December 27th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Depends on the language. For C I would say linux not out of bias but because most the tools are there for you already. With Windows there aren't many decent ones other that Visual Studio but that costs money. Setting up the environment variables and paths isn't really fun either. I've never tried Mac OS X for programming so I wouldn't know there.
Windows
Mingw - The POSIX compiler environment
Cygwin - The POSIX implementation for Windows
Visual Studio - Microsoft, Free version here: http://www.microsoft.com/Express/

Linux
Anything GNU, though, TCC is fun to play with

OS X
XCode - Free from Apple/Uses the Open Source GNU Compiler Collection for Darwin (officially supported and ported by Apple)

Changturkey
December 27th, 2008, 04:42 AM
What about Java?

smartboyathome
December 27th, 2008, 04:45 AM
What about Java?

Java is pretty much cross platform (especially with the new OpenJDK), so any OS would be good.

Frak
December 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM
What about Java?
All OS's.

Windows has OpenJDK
Linux has OpenJDK
Mac OS X has XCode

Grant A.
December 27th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Hackintoshes, obviously.

shadylookin
December 27th, 2008, 05:07 AM
linux windows mac

I want to learn html/css/javascript and C

so what are your opions

html/css aren't programing languages though they can easily be done on either. javascript as well.

linux distos usually come stock with GCC so you can begin programing and compiling C immediately.

What about Java?
most OEM's preinstall sun java unto windows and some linux distros don't put any version or just put the gcj version(like ubuntu which is awful).

So depending on the OEM for windows and the linux distribution in question this could go either way

of course for any other these it's a rather small inconvenience. you can get and install a C compiler on windows in a matter of minutes and you can download and install sun java/openjdk in a matter of minutes.

I think linux has a much more developer friendly enviroment which is why despite being .5% of the market share it has a huge amount of applications, but that's a matter of opinion.

SonnHalter
December 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I know that html/css/javascript are web programming. but i wanted to know which OS is more productive and flows helpfully when trying to learn them

InfinityCircuit
December 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
You first need to figure out your workflow and make that more explicit.

I do all of my coding in Ratpoison. I have two frames side by side. The right frame has any references open in a browser. The left frame has Emacs, divided horizontally--the top buffer has the code, the lower buffer has an interpreter/gdb.

Such a setup would probably be a big turn-off to a beginning programmer. You probably want an IDE of some sort. Great IDEs exist for all platforms.