PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Boring.

lenswipe
December 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

I have a somewhat unusual question. when people post on here relating to GNOME they are usually asking how to make it do really cool stuff. However i am going to be using my laptop in class, with one user account for work and one for recreation. To that end i was wondering if someone could tell me how to make the account for my work look really....

well....

crap?

Like, really boring graphics that would do credit to windows 98. But i need it to still be usable as GNOME. Im a very easily distracted person who is likely to sit playing with compiz rather than work. I know how to turn compiz off. But what im really interested in doing is making ubuntu look really boring, but functional.

Can anyone help here?

Thanks

-Lenswipe

2hot6ft2
December 27th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Right click on the desktop, select change background and select the windows like grass field. That should be boring enough.

keithld
December 27th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Right click on the desktop, select change background and select the windows like grass field. That should be boring enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/KeithLDick/Twocute.gif

He sounds a bit like me, when the subject doesn't interest me I'm going to wanna play around...

I think he shouldn't even take a computer with him to class, maybe a Pencil and a Note Pad might keep him on the subject at hand... hahaha :)

Just kidding lenswipe!!!, but you know if you have it there with you your gonna play around... Your just gonna have to break yourself of that habit or let someone else set up the computer and not give you any passwords so you can't change things...

Sorivenul
December 27th, 2008, 04:20 AM
My suggestion is ditch GNOME for your "work" setup, install IceWM (in the repositories) then install this theme (http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/winclassic/). Done. :)

Good luck!

albinootje
December 27th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Like, really boring graphics that would do credit to windows 98. But i need it to still be usable as GNOME. Im a very easily distracted person who is likely to sit playing with compiz rather than work. I know how to turn compiz off. But what im really interested in doing is making ubuntu look really boring, but functional.

Did you check -> System -> Preferences -> Appearance ?
You can click on "customize" under the Theme tab.
Then choose e.g. under "Controls" -> "Redmond" ;)
Change colors, or try the high-constrast ones.
If you're happy with the result, save it under a new name.

albinootje
December 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
My suggestion is ditch GNOME for your "work" setup, install IceWM (in the repositories) then install this theme (http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/winclassic/). Done. :)

Hmmm, you've given a new idea how to welcome new Linux users on my FreeNX remote desktop server :)

MarblePanther
December 27th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Ive got a better one: openbox

just a black screen :) (using it right now)

You will have to research how to change anything lol

I think that'll do you fine

Wintervenom
December 27th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Well, I could suggest Ratpoison... ^_^

Use the Raleigh/Redmond theme?
That looks quite boring...

I thought that GNOME was designed to be boring and for work...

lenswipe
January 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM
thanks alot guys..

ill try that stuff :D

and yes, if it looks cool and im bored i will and do play with compiz etc...

-L

cptr13
January 30th, 2009, 12:17 AM
This will probably tick some folks off....but how about the default Ubuntu desktop.....that isn't exactly exciting...

stopie
January 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Im not gonna lie, unless my desktop looks super cool (by my low male standards), I will spend several classes making it better - or worse; I spend several classes browsing themes and wallpapers and never get to making it better!

Did you check -> System -> Preferences -> Appearance ?
You can click on "customize" under the Theme tab.
Then choose e.g. under "Controls" -> "Redmond" :wink:
Change colors, or try the high-constrast ones.
If you're happy with the result, save it under a new name.

+1
CRUX is odd and boring for me