PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone or G1 Android - any suggestions?

jondecker76
December 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
My wife and I are both ready for a new phone, and our service contracts are up so even a new provider is not out of the question (we are currently AT&T).

We have nothing but Linux based computers in our household, and refuse to switch back to Windows for any reason...

That being said - we both like the iPhone and the G1. Now we need to make a hard decision on which to go by and I was hoping others here would have some feedback.

Also, I'm aware of the closed nature of the iPhone, but its still a very nice phone with a lot of nice apps. I am also aware of the open Android OS that the G1 uses - this is great but also hindered by a few things (apps must be writtin in a non-standard java for one, eliminating the possibility of simply porting any of the existing Linux apps out there, which sucks). But the G1 also seems like a very nice phone.

In order of importance, what we want is:
1) A good phone with good clear reception
2) Texting speed and ease of use
3) Internet use both on the road and in WiFi coverage
4) Calendar/email/contacts syncing with evolution
5) Instant Messengers (mainly Yahoo IM)
6) Gaming (I was really hoping to see some emulators out for the G1 by now)
6) Music/MP3 Player functionallity

Taking the above into account, can anyone give any suggestions? Also, if there are other phones that would fit the bill even better, please let me know.

thanks
Jon

MikeTheC
December 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I have no specific advice to give, but I do have some thoughts to share.

First, if you're already committed to Linux, then that also means you're committed to the ideals of F/OSS. While the Android may not live up to them 100%, it sure does live up to the far more than the iPhone does. Besides, so much of what the iPhone can do is tied to iTunes, iCal and iPhoto, and from what I gather, I don't think the iPhone is nomially all that well supported in Linux (those who know better, feel free to correct me.)

Second, if there's anything I've learned over the years, it is not to get yourself overly committed to a single vendor's product. I'm not just talking about the "proprietary software" aspect, but the fact that it is so easy to get handcuffed to something because your user experience and (more importantly) data are trapped there. I have a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't as likely be the case with the Android.

Third, I think there's a lot to be said for open media formats. Remember, when you buy an iPhone, you're not buying a cell phone so much as you're buying a "solution". And while I'd much prefer Apple providing a solution to Microsoft doing so, it's still Apple's baby to do with -- or not to do with -- as they please.

sol87
December 27th, 2008, 08:59 AM
My wife and I are both ready for a new phone, and our service contracts are up so even a new provider is not out of the question (we are currently AT&T).

We have nothing but Linux based computers in our household, and refuse to switch back to Windows for any reason...

That being said - we both like the iPhone and the G1. Now we need to make a hard decision on which to go by and I was hoping others here would have some feedback.

Also, I'm aware of the closed nature of the iPhone, but its still a very nice phone with a lot of nice apps. I am also aware of the open Android OS that the G1 uses - this is great but also hindered by a few things (apps must be writtin in a non-standard java for one, eliminating the possibility of simply porting any of the existing Linux apps out there, which sucks). But the G1 also seems like a very nice phone.

In order of importance, what we want is:
1) A good phone with good clear reception
2) Texting speed and ease of use
3) Internet use both on the road and in WiFi coverage
4) Calendar/email/contacts syncing with evolution
5) Instant Messengers (mainly Yahoo IM)
6) Gaming (I was really hoping to see some emulators out for the G1 by now)
6) Music/MP3 Player functionallity

Taking the above into account, can anyone give any suggestions? Also, if there are other phones that would fit the bill even better, please let me know.

thanks
Jon

actually you would HAVE to have itunes if you got and iphone if you want be able to use any apps and you would have to download the firmware through itunes before you can jailbreak so no music pics of vid in linux.

i think you might also have to sync it with itunes to get it activated =P

...so unless you want to go buy a mac your stuck with G1

jondecker76
December 27th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I've also heard about the Nokia Symbian phones.

Do they offer anything that the G1 does not?

So far, for what I need, it seems that the iPhone is out of the picture, so it seems more like a G1 vs Symbian decision now.

Thanks for the advice so far

billgoldberg
December 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The G2 comes out out in the first quarter of 2009.

If you can, it will be worth the wait.

--

Ps: if you only have linux machines, you'll want android.

hanzomon4
December 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I normally come down on the side of the iphone... but with out a mac you lose some really nice things like contact/calendar sync, the ability to put your music and videos on it, and firmware updates/jailbreaking(which is wicked cool).

You can still get your email if you have pop/imap access, you still get all the great apps, gps, great internet and texting... oh and a nice phone. However it's the integration with the rest of your digital life that makes these phones so nice, especially the iphone. It's like a satellite computer for me..

I don't like the G1... it's ugly, no multi-touch, same lock-in as AppleT&T, no tethering. So I'd suggest waiting for a better G* phone to come out. Android I think is awesome but the G1 doesn't live up to the hype.... they can do better and I suspect someone will soon

Vote: G2 for you ;)

RaZe42
December 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Why not wait for the Nokia N97? It's a gorgeous phone :D

ssam
December 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
apple are going well out of their way these days to stop their devices being used with third party software[0]. I used to use apple hardware (iMac G3, Powerbook G4), they were well built machines (i ran Linux on them). I probably wont buy any more apple hardware.

[0] http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/11/21/apple-lawyers-hand-ipod-hash-cracking-site-a-dmca-notice

Swarms
December 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Wait for G2 or Android powered HTC Touch HD.

pinged
December 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
It's really up to you, but I have to agree with everybody else that you cannot use an iphone with linux. However if I were you I'd wait until the G2 comes out and go for that. Plus as apple can limit what you put on an iphone, google has made theirs completely open to anybody (almost)

I'd wait until the G2 to buy a phone then make up your mind

plb
December 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Wait for G2 or Android powered HTC Touch HD.

++ I cannot recommend the g1 after going through three of them. Good platform, bad hardware. That said, you can always buy an unlocked phone which is what I have always done till purchasing the G1...Now that I've sold it I'm back to unlocked phone =)