PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Fails after HD Format

Snowman53
December 26th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I am trying to install 8.10 Server on a machine with SCSI HD and SCSI CD-RW.

Boot from install CD - runs fine up until it returns after formatting the HD. At that point I get a window that is labeled "Install the base system" with the message: "Please insert the disk labeled: 'Ubuntu-Server 8.10 ......' in the drive /cdrom/ and press enter."

Of course the disk is already in the cd reader and pressing enter simply recycles back to the same place. And obviously the CD was "seen" during the boot process.

Have repeated the sequence a couple times - same result. (What is that old definition of madness? Repeating the same steps over and over expecting a different result....)

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

infamous-online
December 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I am trying to install 8.10 Server on a machine with SCSI HD and SCSI CD-RW.

Boot from install CD - runs fine up until it returns after formatting the HD. At that point I get a window that is labeled "Install the base system" with the message: "Please insert the disk labeled: 'Ubuntu-Server 8.10 ......' in the drive /cdrom/ and press enter."

Of course the disk is already in the cd reader and pressing enter simply recycles back to the same place. And obviously the CD was "seen" during the boot process.

Have repeated the sequence a couple times - same result. (What is that old definition of madness? Repeating the same steps over and over expecting a different result....)

Suggestions?

Thanks!!

It's called insanity I believe LOL! Now, do you happen to have an IDE or SATA cd-dvd rom lying around? I had a similiar problem as well with my scsi cd-rom, but, whenever I swapped it for an IDE rom it worked. How old exactly if you had to guess is your scsi cd-rom?

Snowman53
December 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM
do you happen to have an IDE or SATA cd-dvd rom lying around? I had a similiar problem as well with my scsi cd-rom, but, whenever I swapped it for an IDE rom it worked. How old exactly if you had to guess is your scsi cd-rom?

Good Suggestion - I swapped the CD drive and the installation is progressing as I type this.

The SCSI CD-RW is older than dirt (at least five years).

Thanks!