PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub wont load

Dekkzter
December 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Hello

Im installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer. I have Windows 2008 Server Enterprise on there since earlier and am installing Ubuntu 8.10 on the second partition on the first drive. The install is no problem and I chose to install Grub but it simply wont load. It boots straight back into Windows.

Any ideas?

Thx Jimmie

albinootje
December 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Im installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer. I have Windows 2008 Server Enterprise on there since earlier and am installing Ubuntu 8.10 on the second partition on the first drive. The install is no problem and I chose to install Grub but it simply wont load. It boots straight back into Windows.

So there's no grub menu visible at all ?
Do you have some anti-virus protection on in the BIOS which prevents overwriting the MasterBootRecord ?

You can still follow these steps to try to fix it :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

pietjanjaap
December 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Change your boot disk, you have choosen the wrong one.

caljohnsmith
December 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
In order to get a clearer picture of your setup, how about booting your Live CD (the Ubuntu install CD), open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

cd ~/Desktop && wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info_script.txt' && sudo bash boot_info_script.txt
That will create a "RESULTS.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of that file to your next post. That will help clarify your setup and hopefully what your problem might be.

Dekkzter
December 27th, 2008, 10:40 AM
That was a long file so I made an attachment. I hope anybody can help me with that :)

didac
December 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
It looks your BIOS setup is set to boot from the third hard-disk, not the first, where GRUB is installed. Check your BIOS at boot.

caljohnsmith
December 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM
It looks your BIOS setup is set to boot from the third hard-disk, not the first, where GRUB is installed. Check your BIOS at boot.
+1. I agree, if you are booting straight into Windows right now, Dekkzter, it looks like you would have to be booting the sdc drive since that is where Vista has its boot files. Can you change your BIOS to boot the sda drive? That should hopefully be all it takes to at least boot Ubuntu, but booting Vista/XP from the Grub menu may need some tweaking to work.

Dekkzter
December 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Yea. it worked when I changed boot disc in BIOS. and the grub loaded and i could chose Windows Vista and Ubuntu and both started without problem! Thx alot for the help! :)

caljohnsmith
December 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm glad that changing your boot drive was all that it took to fix the problem; cheers and have fun with Vista and Ubuntu. :)