PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brasero vs. K3B

wpshooter
December 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I notice that on Intrepid that the Brasero CD burner program is now being installed by default under the sound and video menu.

I know that I can install K3B if I wish BUT my question is WHY Brasero is being installed by default as opposed to K3B or some other CD burner program.

Who made this decision and what was their reasoning for having Brasero installed instead of some other burner program ? Do they consider the Brasero program to be better, easier to use, more stable or superior to K3B and other choices and, if so, in what ways is it considered better ?

I have been a K3B user for a long time, should I consider switching to Brasero ?

Thanks.

taurus
December 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe because k3b is a KDE app. And to make it as a default burner in Gnome, you have to include a bunch of KDE libraries for it to function properly in Gnome environment. Some people don't want the extra stuff on their machine if they don't have to. Of course, you can always install it later if you wish to use it.

wpshooter
December 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Maybe because k3b is a KDE app. And to make it as a default burner in Gnome, you have to include a bunch of KDE libraries for it to function properly in Gnome environment. Some people don't want the extra stuff on their machine if they don't have to. Of course, you can always install it later if you wish to use it.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have been using K3B so long that I had forgotten about it being a KDE application.

Does Brasero have all the bells and whistles that K3B has ?

Thanks.

GuiH
August 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
:-({|=music to dead thread

Maybe K3b is not sponsored by Canonical...
The Brasero is simple and functional, but is very little comparing to a Nero; when using K3b, you are opening way to the best one.

thinking:
Brasero <= Nero <= K3b

kpkeerthi
August 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Simple. Brasero is a GNOME project. K3B is not. Ubuntu uses GNOME.

http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/