PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Problem with UNetbootin Installation

Hornet.ch
December 26th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hello everybody

I got a new Samsung NC10 netbook this week and wanted to install Ubuntu on it. Unfortunately, I don't have enough capacity on my USB flashdrive, so I can't use the Live-USB method.

Then I found the tool UNetbootin. I used it in Windows with the ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386 ISO. I could also boot the livecd and run the installation wizard. The problem was, that the partition table was empty. After some searching I came to the solution that I had to run the following command before running the installer:

sudo umount -l -r -f /dev/sda2
(sda2 is the windows partition where UNetbootin was installed)

Finally, I managed to run the installation program. But after rebooting I discovered that something went wrong: The grub entry to start Ubuntu is missing. There are only the two entries for Windows and Ubuntu Memtest. I really have no idea what to do now.

I hope somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance

Hornet.ch
December 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
So, after some trying I found a workaround, but I still don't know the cause of the problem.

The problem was that the installer didn't install the kernel. I booted the live cd with UNetbootin, chroot'ed into the new installed environment and installed the actual kernel with apt.

Now everything works fine :D

gnaunited
April 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I would recommend doing a apt-get install ubuntu-desktop just in case something else was missing.