PDA

View Full Version : Just Another Happy Customer

Salute
December 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hi, I'm new here

I've installed Xubuntu Gutsy (and updated 4 security) and am very happy with it so far, mainly because it recognised my d-link dwl-g630 (ar2413) wireless card without any configuration... unfortunately couldn't get PAM to work but I don't really care ,as nm (network manager) has encryted a rather large+random key for me and my passphrase is easy to enter

I've installed all the codecs and flash quickly and easily, and ditched Totem 4 Mplayer, and also installed pidgin,xmms (with the SoSound blue theme),and firestarter - locking down all but 80,443,6667 which was easy and is working great

Oh, and I'm using the wii-black + axiom gtk/xfce theme

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/NewB4Life/Screen1208Xubuntu.png

pt123
December 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM
so when are they planning to release Hardy in New Zealand?

Luckily you didn't start of using Edgy.

mips
December 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
so when are they planning to release Hardy in New Zealand?

Is that a joke? Else I don't get it.

albinootje
December 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi, I'm new here

I've installed Xubuntu Gutsy (and updated 4 security) and am very happy with it so far, mainly because it recognised my d-link dwl-g630 (ar2413) wireless card without any configuration...
--cut--

Your desktop looks great! :)

The remark about Hardy from pt123 was probably because Gutsy is kind of old.
I think I read that the support for Gutsy will end somewhere in spring 2009.

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi, I'm new here

I've installed Xubuntu Gutsy (and updated 4 security) and am very happy with it so far, mainly because it recognised my d-link dwl-g630 (ar2413) wireless card without any configuration... unfortunately couldn't get PAM to work but I don't really care ,as nm (network manager) has encryted a rather large+random key for me and my passphrase is easy to enter

I've installed all the codecs and flash quickly and easily, and ditched Totem 4 Mplayer, and also installed pidgin,xmms (with the SoSound blue theme),and firestarter - locking down all but 80,443,6667 which was easy and is working great

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/NewB4Life/Screen1208Xubuntu.png

You should really start all over and install Ubuntu 8.10.

Gutsy is an old version and support for it will be dropped soon.

albinootje
December 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You should really start all over and install Ubuntu 8.10.

Gutsy is an old version and support for it will be dropped soon.

Personally I would recommend upgrading or installing 8.04 when the time is there for an upgrade.
I'm using 8.10 myself on my desktop, but ran into annoying bugs which are still not fixed.
8.04 is the Long Term Support release, and I have good experiences with that at work on dozen machines, and before on my desktop.

Salute
January 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thanx guys
lol, old zealand is just too gutsy

and thanx for the suggestion :: I'll definitely go 8.04 for the long-term-support option and stability

Salute
May 23rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
Jaunty just gets better and better!

Daveski
May 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Good, init?