PDA

View Full Version : If ubuntu was going to be redesigned...

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
If Ubuntu was going to be redesigned what would you like it to be called what would it look like would it be KDE or GNOME? What would you do to it would you change the icon or even change the name?

Me personally I would leave it as GNOME but put more support for KDE and I would actually not rename it to "ELinux" but I would give it a Yellow and White theme. What would you do?

And also my ideas do not lack creativity they are common sense idea's!

rudihawk
December 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Remove uneeded rubbish - e.g tomboy, exiga, orca etc. People that actually use those things can install them if they need them.

Might change the package manager to pacman.

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Remove uneeded rubbish - e.g tomboy, exiga, orca etc. People that actually use those things can install them if they need them.

Yes I think that too! You can put the rubbish on a DVD version of ubuntu! WE NEED A DVD

Eisenwinter
December 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Read my mind. First and foremost, get rid of the useless crap, this includes evolution, so get rid of GNOME also.

And change the package manager to Pacman.

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM

I don't agree at all.

Ubuntu isn't Arch.

It should have those programs by default.

While I like Pacman, there is nothing wrong with apt-get.

------------

The only thing I would change, is the gtk theme and the icon theme and wallpaper.

I still think they should back of the whole "brown" thing and do something else.

cdwillis
December 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Change the package manager to pacman.
Change the colors of the standard logo to the kubuntu logo shades of blue and system colors to match.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

dannytatom
December 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I don't mind uninstalling the stuff I don't need, but I'd love if evolution wasn't tied so much to Ubuntu/Gnome. It's not the easiest thing to fully uninstall.

& I like apt-get. ;o

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
What is with all the pacman love?

It is almost the same in useage and speed.

Plus changing to pacman would be a huge, huge thing to do for the devs, if possible at all.

cdwillis
December 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM
On my older Dell Latitude laptop pacman is almost twice as fast as apt-get. I don't think aptitude is terrible though.

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM
What is with all the pacman love?

It is almost the same in useage and speed.

Plus changing to pacman would be a huge, huge thing to do for the devs, if possible at all.

Pacman looks like it has more!

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Pacman looks like it has more!

More what?

rudihawk
December 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I don't agree at all.

Ubuntu isn't Arch.

------------

I know it isn't Arch. When I say remove the unneeded stuff I mean remove the things that 95% of Ubuntu users don't actually use. Fill that space with more useful things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with apt-get either. I just prefer pacman.

cb951303
December 26th, 2008, 12:33 PM
More what?

what about ABS?

Salute
December 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I think that Ubuntu is great, that said I would ditch Totem 4 Mplayer and would have 5 of the best gtk themes on gnome-look/voted included and ready to be used (like the apple-dock-thing installing itself)

And I'd also love to see official support (both developmental and iconic) for U-lite, or a low-spec form of Ubuntu that could be run "toram" in 128mb systems

I guess they could use xmms + add media library type plugs?

glotz
December 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
"Easy Linux" would be way too generic and sound very cheap and unprofessional to me. I doubt you could trademark that either. A yellow and white theme could be nice, maybe you'll make one for us!

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
"Easy Linux" would be way too generic and sound very cheap and unprofessional to me. I doubt you could trademark that either. A yellow and white theme could be nice, maybe you'll make one for us!

Ubuntu does not make any sense personally I think EasyLinux makes more sense as it states what the OS does
1. It's Linux
2. It's Easy

Really most Linux OS's don't make any sense like Manderiva and SUSE. If you say Ubuntu to someone they won't have a clue what it is!

cdwillis
December 26th, 2008, 01:08 PM
what about ABS?

To me ABS isn't needed with the large repository Ubuntu has.

glotz
December 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM
@macintosh Perhaps you might want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand

Merry xmas dude!

what about ABS?All new cars have it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

dannytatom
December 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I like the name Ubuntu, and it makes tons of sense. ;o

Also, is there any reason Ubuntu comes with Totem/Mplayer by default instead of VLC?

amitabhishek
December 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
^^ Was about to say that. Any legal issues to include Helix player?

Change default color, icon set & splash screen, include sub pixel smoothing. Remove games.

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM
@ glotz

Ubuntu means Humanity what's Humanity got to do with a OS? Well yes Humans use it but so does my Dog and some Aliens! Windows makes sense because the UI has windows in it where you can move them around, GNOME does not make sense because I think of something in by Back Garden. Also I know it stands for GNU Network Object Model Environment but why in the first place have such a long name? Ubuntu yes does link in with it's philosophy but a consumer does not care about Ubuntu philosophy they want a OS that works! Ubuntu does work but it has a name that does not make any sense. Not that I don't like the name it unique but does not make any sense unfortunately.

glotz
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe it should be renamed macintosh? :D

Kernel Sanders
December 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I don't agree at all.

Ubuntu isn't Arch.

------------

The only thing I would change, is the gtk theme and the icon theme and wallpaper.

I still think they should back of the whole "brown" thing and do something else.

This.

IMHO, just impliment the dust theme as default. Problem solved! :KS

dannytatom
December 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
@ glotz

Ubuntu means Humanity what's Humanity got to do with a OS? Well yes Humans use it but so does my Dog and some Aliens! Windows makes sense because the UI has windows in it where you can move them around, GNOME does not make sense because I think of something in by Back Garden. Also I know it stands for GNU Network Object Model Environment but why in the first place have such a long name? Ubuntu yes does link in with it's philosophy but a consumer does not care about Ubuntu philosophy they want a OS that works! Ubuntu does work but it has a name that does not make any sense. Not that I don't like the name it unique but does not make any sense unfortunately.

How do you think GNOME makes no sense, yet you know what it stands for (which makes sense)? ;o

Also, I still think the name makes a ton of sense. It's name, like you said, is it's philosophy. Same as "Easy Linux" would be, but far more creative.

cb951303
December 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
To me ABS isn't needed with the large repository Ubuntu has.

I very often find applications that are not on repos or not updated since 5.10. I find ABS very useful. And no, checkinstall doesn't count. It doesn't even add dependencies to the package created.

cb951303
December 26th, 2008, 02:42 PM
All new cars have it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

wow, very cheap sense of humour :)

tad1073
December 26th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ubuntu does not make any sense personally I think EasyLinux makes more sense as it states what the OS does
1. It's Linux
2. It's Easy

Really most Linux OS's don't make any sense like Manderiva and SUSE. If you say Ubuntu to someone they won't have a clue what it is!

How about ELinux for Easy Linux...

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM
How about ELinux for Easy Linux...

Exactly what I mean ELinux! What a great name! You see GNU Network Object Model Environment I did not find out until I did a Google search. And any way it's a silly name what about "2BUI" or "Click and Drop". 2BUI stands for 2 Button UI that because it's a UI that takes advantage of 2 buttons. Click and Drop is what you do to files in Nautilus another Application that makes no sense! You see "Finder" makes sense because it states out what it does it Finds files but Nautilius could mean anything look it's icon is a SHELL! Something like "Flashlight" with a icon of a Flashlight makes more sense.

dannytatom
December 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Click and Drop is what you do to files in Nautilus another Application that makes no sense! You see "Finder" makes sense because it states out what it does it Finds files but Nautilius could mean anything look it's icon is a SHELL!

Nautilus is called nautilus because its a GUI for the shell, same reason that's the icon. No offense to your suggestions, but they lack creativity. Look at sports, you could have The Chicago Baseball Team or the Chicago Cubs. Yeah, the first is a lot more obvious, but not near as creative and doesn't add much branding to the team.

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Nautilus is called nautilus because its a GUI for the shell, same reason that's the icon. No offense to your suggestions, but they lack creativity. Look at sports, you could have The Chicago Baseball Team or the Chicago Cubs. Yeah, the first is a lot more obvious, but not near as creative and doesn't add much branding to the team.

Ah yes I see but still rather be less Creative than actually have people confused at what the thing means. Like the GIMP alright it means something GNU Image Manipulation Tool but GIMP is a word you say to offend people again Bad Branding now I am sorry to believe the man who was behind the Linux Haters Blog but he was right the names don't make sense and the one's that do are so hard to get the meaning of. I mean have you heard the Full Circle EP0 podcast 3/4 of the show was making fun of a Man because he could not say Ubuntu correctly. If they actually made the OS's name so people could say it correctly no matter what accent it is. And also the logo is 3 people holding hands people could take that the wrong way if you know what I mean?

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I like the name Ubuntu, and it makes tons of sense. ;o

Also, is there any reason Ubuntu comes with Totem/Mplayer by default instead of VLC?

Yes.

First and foreall, vlc is now QT and doesn't integrate well into Gnome.

Second reason is that Totem is the default Gnome media player.

Third is the codecs issue.

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Maybe it should be renamed macintosh? :D

Apple would bring it down before it got put up on the NET are you crazy! Look at Phystars openMac the word Mac got Apple hell bent on bringing it down.

dannytatom
December 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Yes.

First and foreall, vlc is now QT and doesn't integrate well into Gnome.

Second reason is that Totem is the default Gnome media player.

Third is the codecs issue.

Didn't know any of these. What's the codec issue, things seem to play easier for me with VLC? ;o

jimi_hendrix
December 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
id add something like the AUR and cut out the lesser used programs...but i would still config everything for you

and get a new theme

change the name too

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Didn't know any of these. What's the codec issue, things seem to play easier for me with VLC? ;o

https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/codecs.html

To sum it up, due to copyright some of the codecs that vlc uses may be illegal in some countries (read usa).

macintosh
December 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
id add something like the AUR and cut out the lesser used programs...but i would still config everything for you

and get a new theme

change the name too

Me too the Theme is bad and the Name is bad! Finally someone who understands what I understand!

Skripka
December 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/codecs.html

To sum it up, due to copyright some of the codecs that vlc uses may be illegal in some countries (read usa).

Cynic. ;)

qamelian
December 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Me too the Theme is bad and the Name is bad! Finally someone who understands what I understand!
You're just stating opinion, not fact. Personally, I like the theme and love the name. The name and its meaning are what drew me to Ubuntu in the first place. I like the theme because it stands out from other distros that all look like "more of the same" to me. Your suggestion of ELinux or Easy Linux would not have had the same effect ... at least not for me.

Frak
December 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM

and get a new theme

change the name too
And make the AUR-inspired repo based on the already existing PPA's.

mike1772
December 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
1. It's Linux
2. It's Easy

I think Ubuntu is an awesome name for an Operating System. It doesn't need to make sense in the sense that you are meaning. If you say Linux to someone - most people would know what you are talking about. Kind of like saying Windows to someone. However, a year and a half ago if you said Vista to someone they'd be just as much in the dark as Ubuntu. However, Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux make perfect sense.

If you called it Easy Linux you'd have a hard time getting more hard core users to use it. It would also likely not be used in business as it sounds cheap and simplistic (and not in good ways.)

There really isn't much I would change in Ubuntu as I've been quite happy with the last two versions. I'm even keeping with the default theme as the browns have kind of grown on me. (At least it isn't blue as that has been done to death).

mike1772
December 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM

That's just a matter of opinion though. The default theme in Ubuntu is what really makes it unique. The browns really grow on you after a while. I can't even change the themes anymore because the defaults are quite pleasing on the eye (in my opinion).

As far as the name - how would you change it? I know Easy Linux has been mentioned - but that wouldn't really be an appropriate name in my opinion. It really shouldn't have Linux in the name. Linux is what it is - not what it's called. Similar to Windows being the operating system but Vista is the name. Personally - I find Ubuntu easier to use than Slackware (though its been about 10 years since I used Slackware so that's not really a fair comparison) - however I have not found it easier to use than Fedora. In fact - the only reason I switched from Fedora was the name and the unique brown themes. The software was very similar...

Mazza558
December 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
My changes would be:

- New theme, with shiny but subtle, modern gloss everywhere. Some may not like it but it gives the OS some professionality IMO. Minor use of transparency but only subtley (like on menus).
- New login (this is already being introduced)
- Change to the Dejavu or Liberation fonts. They're both crystal clear and look a lot nicer than Sans.
- Replace Rhythmbox with Banshee
- Replace the fonts with something more modern
- New Menu (or at least a change to the current menu). A search bar and most-used programs would be useful. It's been proven by other OSs, and just makes sense.

I'm actually writing a script which'll add/change settings to make Ubuntu more usable. It's called "project desktopia" as a tentative codename for what it'll become. Here's a screenie:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/Screenshot.png

jimi_hendrix
December 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
You're just stating opinion, not fact. Personally, I like the theme and love the name. The name and its meaning are what drew me to Ubuntu in the first place. I like the theme because it stands out from other distros that all look like "more of the same" to me. Your suggestion of ELinux or Easy Linux would not have had the same effect ... at least not for me.

i just want a name that doesnt sound goofy when i might possibly convert someone to linux

magmon
December 27th, 2008, 02:54 AM
If Ubuntu was going to be redesigned what would you like it to be called what would it look like would it be KDE or GNOME? What would you do to it would you change the icon or even change the name?

Me personally I would leave it as GNOME but put more support for KDE and I would actually rename it to "Easy Linux" and give it a Yellow and White theme. What would you do?

Uh.. Easy linux..?

I like it as is, but I would like more support for windows programs and games.

smartboyathome
December 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM
If Ubuntu were to be redesigned, I would have it made sot hat it was only compatible with my computers, and only use programs which I would like. :P

In all seriousness, though, I don't think there ever will be a "redesign" of Ubuntu, I think that what will eventually happen is that another distro will become more popular until it is mainstream.

jpmelos
December 27th, 2008, 03:20 AM
In my humble opinion:

- Remove the stuff people don't use:

Evolution (C'mon!! For the sake of sanity! Who uses it?)
Ekiga (See comment above! xD)
Orca (Keep checking the comments! :D)
Transmission (Please put a real torrent manager, like Deluge.)
- Put a TeX tool.
- Don't touch the brand or identity of Ubuntu. It's growing now and you want to screw everything up?
- Keep Gnome and default theme. But I completely agree some themes should be added for optional use plug-'n'-play, like the most voted in GnomeLook.org.

Warpnow
December 27th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Use Epiphany-Webkit over firefox.
Use VLC as the media player.
Blue/Transparency Theme
Abiword instead of Openoffice.

MikeTheC
December 27th, 2008, 07:37 AM
The only things I would change would be purely visual in nature. Any other changes I'd like to see are all up-stream from Ubuntu.

Vis a vis the desktop environment, package manager, et al... Gnome is, for me, such an elegantly simple DE, far more so than KDE (though, to be fair, "simple elegance" was never a design priority of the KDE group). As for apt-get, I find I far prefer it to anything else I've run across. What features it lacks are most likely so far above and beyond what someone such as myself needs (or would likely benefit from) that it would make far more sense to simply build those features into APT than to change to some other package management system.

macintosh
December 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Transmission (Please put a real torrent manager, like Deluge.)

Ubuntu is for people who want a system to work with minimal configuration that's why a mini Torrent Manager like Transmission is included. I like Mini Torrent Managers like Transmission and Tomato Torrent because they are like part of your browser and if you have Opera it is your browser! But in all seriousness Transmission is the most popular Torrent client in the Mac world and most people who use it are not big torrenters. Ubuntu assumes that the people who are switching are not big torrenters so it includes transmission that's not to say you could not install Deluge on Ubuntu. I think they should include in the repo's if they have not done already!