PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ubuntu user - help

piojunbabia
December 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I just installed this ubuntu this afternoon and i find it good. I'd rather keep this because I like it. But I do now know how to install the Yahoo Messenger and Install newer version of firefox and other things i need to install. And also install driver for my webcam. I do not know how to do it. could any one please help me?

thank you very much.

piojunbabia
piojunbabia@yahoo.com

dekaru
December 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM
If you installed a normal Ubuntu release, Firefox should alredy be there. Look for it in the Applications Menu. If it's not there go to a terminal and just type "firefox" or "abrowser"
There is no Yahoo Messenger equivalent in Linux, but you can add your Yahoo account to Pidgin, a multi-protocol chat client which is installed by default.
What do you want to do with your webcam, take pictures/video or video-chat ?? You can install "camorama" or "cheese booth cam" to take pictures.

Check out medibuntu.

piojunbabia
December 26th, 2008, 10:02 AM
thank you, but i think my fireox is in older version so i need to install newer version of firefox..i already have downloaded the .exe file of that installer but i cant install it because i do not know how. I want to use Yahoo Messenger so that i Can use my web cam...to chat and talk with video to my sister. Pidgin is not in here.. but i have Gaim - i think this is al older version of Pidgin. and I also think that this ubuntu installer is old.

thank you for replying...

lisati
December 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
thank you, but i think my fireox is in older version so i need to install newer version of firefox..i already have downloaded the .exe file of that installer but i cant install it because i do not know how. I want to use Yahoo Messenger so that i Can use my web cam...to chat and talk with video to my sister. Pidgin is not in here.. but i have Gaim - i think this is al older version of Pidgin. and I also think that this ubuntu installer is old.

thank you for replying...

".exe" files are intended for Windows, and don't usually work on Ubuntu without help (see here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine) for using Windows progams with Ubuntu: however, if you can find an Ubuntu/Linux version or equivalent it will often be better: have a look on the Firefox website for the Linux-friendly version.)

You might also want to consider installing a newer version of Ubuntu if you get a chance, as it will come with more up-to-date versions of the pre-installed software.

"Gaim" is indeed an old name for "Pidgin" - it was renamed to help avoid potential legal hassles.

piojunbabia
December 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM
thank you lisati, can i install newer verion of ubuntu online? or upgrading my older version to a newer version? is that possible?

would you advice installing opera for intenet browsing? thanks?

dekaru
December 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
it would be best if you could perform a clean install by downloading an iso image from

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and installing it on your system.

If you don't feel confident you could try running from a terminal:

"update-manager -d"

but clean updates are usually better.

Opera is a good and fast option but Firefox also gets the job done.

arm-c
January 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
To the new user:

The journey in Ubuntu is interesting. It is Different also. You really have to think of it as a different "culture" in that how you would do things in the "culture" you know (windows) is not how you do things in this new "culture (Linux) that you are now in. SURE, there are similarities, but there are vast differences. A few words of advice:

a. For now, forget about running windows programs in Linux (as the other post said, there are ways, but I wouldn't recommend to try that first...). Windows programs that you install either have a "setup.exe" or setup.msi or something similar that you run. For Ubuntu, use the ADD/Remove option at the bottom of the Applications menu. Worst case, if you have to get it from a site (Don't do unless you are sure it isn't available)... look for a .DEB file... preferably one that says for Ubuntu X.XX (where X.XX is your version). You can download a .deb file to your desktop and double click to install like you would windows. The DEB installer will run.

b. Do not expect to ALWAYS find the same programs for Linux that you find for Windows,... but that doesn't mean the functionality isn't there. Some Common Alternatives (with Win equivalent in Parens)... bot NOT THE ONLY alternatives.

1. Firefox :: (Internet Explorer)
2. OpenOffice :: (Microsoft Office / WordPerfect Office)
3. GNU Cash / KMyMoney :: Microsoft Money / Quicken
4. Pidgin (CHAT ONLY) :: Yahoo Messenger / MS Messenger / etc...
[Might want to check out "gYachi" as option and possibly offers video chat support for Yahoo Clients... but a very busy interface and poor documentation]
5. In the case of Video Chat... Why not use Skype / Gizmo or the pre-installed telphony/video program. I know both Skype and Gizmo are cross platform and I also know that the default program in Ubuntu supports the standard SIP protocol, so any program supporting SIP it will be able to connect to (Skype does not). Both support Video/Voice/Chat.

c. Switch your friends to open source software (most is cross platform and in many cases MULT (Linux / Mac / Windows / etc...) Check out the OSALT site (http://www.osalt.com/) which will tell you what are alternatives, What platforms (Operating Systems) the software runs on, and links to sites for information/download, etc.. <<remember to check the Add/Remove programs list before downloading a .deb file>>

d. Even if your friends won't switch programs / operating system, ENCOURAGE them to use international OPEN STANDARDS for data files (such as the open document file format instead of proprietary MS Office / WordPerfet Office files so they are able to reach the widest range of people. (Note, Microsoft is adding support to Office for OpenDocument Format)

Well, enjoy your exploration. Check some tutorials out. Keep reading on the web. Listen to some pod-casts... :)

www.jupiterbroadcasting.com (listen to Linux Action Show (older ones are informative) and also their very informative "short format" videos.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid

and USE your help (System Menu / Help)

DEFINITELY UPGRADE FRESH TO UBUNTU 8.10! Recommend HIGHLY that you make a separate partition for your HOME directory as that will simplify upgrades, reinstall, etc... sort of like making a drive in windows for all of your data files... you can format C: without fear of loosing irreplaceable data files.

Cheers!!!

Final thought: Anyone else realize just how archaic the windows window management is when compared to linux? I get so frustrated with program windows when working on Windows that I am less productive due to the ineffective way (few options) of managing that. Oh... and COMPIZ adds a lot more to my productivity above that.

piojunbabia
December 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
thank you for the advice... i already upgraded to 9.10 using fresh install.. thank you...