PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 8.04 minimum to desktop

stevmill
December 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hi, I am completely new to linux and I have a problem.

I ordered a seedbox that uses ubuntu 8.04 minimal, and I only have ssh access to it. I was wondering if anyone can walk me through upgrading it to desktop os I can set up vnc, so I can use the GUI. And since this is a remote server I do not have physical access to the box, so I cant just install it from the CD.

I appologize if I sound like a total noob (I am with linux), but I have been a windows user for the last 20 years, and until recently got over the idea of linux as dos without vowels. :)

any help is much appreciated.

rudihawk
December 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hi, I am completely new to linux and I have a problem.

I ordered a seedbox that uses ubuntu 8.04 minimal, and I only have ssh access to it. I was wondering if anyone can walk me through upgrading it to desktop os I can set up vnc, so I can use the GUI. And since this is a remote server I do not have physical access to the box, so I cant just install it from the CD.

I appologize if I sound like a total noob (I am with linux), but I have been a windows user for the last 20 years, and until recently got over the idea of linux as dos without vowels. :)

any help is much appreciated.

If you can ssh into the box, cant you then run:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

to install a DE/WM?

piojunbabia
December 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
when i first installed ubuntu. it was not on GUI so i reinstalled it right and then... i did have the same procedures on the installation processes but on the second attempt to install, I was already in GUI.. maybe you could try to install it again...just a try but im not sure if it works... it worked for me....

piojunbabia