PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation with NVidia Graphics Card

tvks
December 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I am totally new to Linux and find myself in a mess with Ubuntu.

My problem is that I have disabled my onboard VGA because I have installed a NVidia GE Force FX 5500 Graphics card in my AGP slot.

M$ Windows has been installed on this and the first time it was booted it gave me a down to earth resolution ( pls note : that it still displayed the GUI). I later installed the device driver CD and today its fine.

Ubuntu on the contrary sometimes hangs during the installation itself ( during the scroll bar below Ubuntu logo) and sometimes installs but hangs before going into the GUI desktop.

I did a lot of Googling and everywhere it said that Nvidia drivers are not installed by default. Thats fine !! but atleast I must get my GUI desktop probably with a horrible resolution so that I can connect to the Internet and update my Nvidia drivers.

I have always preferred Linux but now I am in a deep fix.

Pls help.:confused:

cariboo
December 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Did you try starting the LiveCD in safe graphics mode? If not at the menu press F4 and select safe graphics mode. This will have no affect on the installation, but at least you should be able to boot to the desktop and install from there. I haven't needed to boot in safe graphics mode for that last 4 releases, but after the installation everything works the way it should.

Jim