PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mail Notificator

slimx3m
December 26th, 2008, 04:56 AM
does anybody knows how i could intall "Evolution Jean-Yves Lefort's Mail Notification plugin"?

katana2k
January 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
type 'sudo apt-get install evolution-plugins' into a terminal

slimx3m
January 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
i have all the plug-ins loaded. and i thought that plugin is a special one because i even have one that it is supposed to do the same as the "Evolution Jean-Yves Lefort's Mail Notification plugin", but since is not that one then it does not recognize it.

Kobalt
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Are you talking about the "mail-notification-evolution" package ?

slimx3m
January 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Are you talking about the "mail-notification-evolution" package ?
well, i do have the package installed.

what i am trying to do is to configure mail notification app, but i can not compleate the configuration using evolution becuase it says that
"Evolution Jean-Yves Lefort's Mail Notification plugin" is not install. so what i am trting to figure out is... where i could find such a plugin? i've been looking every where and i can not find it. i know that the evolution-plugin package brings a mail notificator add-on, but i don't know which one mail notificator app is really asking for.

ugm6hr
January 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

This is mail-notification in synaptic. Depending on your version of Ubuntu, getdeb.net may have newer versions.

mail-notification-evolution is the Evolution plugin (I have never used it).

You can configure mail-notification directly (i.e. without involving Evolution at all) - It appears in the System menu somewhere.

sirlatrom
February 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

This is mail-notification in synaptic. Depending on your version of Ubuntu, getdeb.net may have newer versions.

mail-notification-evolution is the Evolution plugin (I have never used it).

You can configure mail-notification directly (i.e. without involving Evolution at all) - It appears in the System menu somewhere.

mail-notification is great and all, but it requires the above mentioned plugin. Here's the error message displayed in the Mail Notification preferences dialog:

Mail Notification can not contact Evolution. Make sure that Evolution is running and that the Evolution Jean-Yves Lefort's Mail Notification plugin is loaded.I am missing it too since a recent update to Jaunty, but I don't know how this applies to the original poster's situation.

slimx3m
February 12th, 2009, 07:29 AM
mail-notification is great and all, but it requires the above mentioned plugin. Here's the error message displayed in the Mail Notification preferences dialog:

I am missing it too since a recent update to Jaunty, but I don't know how this applies to the original poster's situation.

i know :( i which to configure mail notification fully but i guess that i would have to wait until they fix it for next version.

sharon.gmc
February 12th, 2009, 10:27 AM
yup, i can't wait for the next version. . .

ronaldrand
March 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I upgraded to Jaunty (disastrous!) and had this same problem. Lefort's plugin is nowhere to be found in Evolution. But I had some success copying it from:

/usr/lib/evolution/2.24/plugins/liborg-jylefort-mail-notification.so
/usr/lib/evolution/2.24/plugins/org-jylefort-mail-notification.eplug

To the new evolution plugins folder. (I don't remember the version number at the moment.) It did not work as expected, so don't get your hopes up. But that's a good starting point I think.

phyrewall
March 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I upgraded to Jaunty (disastrous!) and had this same problem. Lefort's plugin is nowhere to be found in Evolution. But I had some success copying it from:

To the new evolution plugins folder. (I don't remember the version number at the moment.) It did not work as expected, so don't get your hopes up. But that's a good starting point I think.

Thanks, mate! This worked for me. :KS

ronaldrand
March 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks, mate! This worked for me. :KS

I'm so glad it worked for you! None of my programs seemed to work for me. It must be my laptop isn't supported yet.

I'll put these files online for a while in case anyone installs Jaunty without upgrading.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/704812/LeFort%27s%20plugins/liborg-jylefort-mail-notification.so
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/704812/LeFort%27s%20plugins/org-jylefort-mail-notification.eplug

These are chmod 644 and owned and group owned by root.

nomediakings
April 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks ronaldrand -- I think the plugin people didn't update the file location from 2.24 to 2.26, so I just cut and pasted it and it works now.

bursucboghy
May 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi, I have the same issue and I copied the plugin files from 2.24/plugins in to the new version of evolution 2.26/plugins and i found the mail-notification-evolution plugin listed in the Evolution plugins and activated but mail-notification still gives me that error about checking if the plugin is loaded.

habtool
May 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hi, I have the same issue and I copied the plugin files from 2.24/plugins in to the new version of evolution 2.26/plugins and i found the mail-notification-evolution plugin listed in the Evolution plugins and activated but mail-notification still gives me that error about checking if the plugin is loaded.

I also copied them over and it did not work

gofishel
May 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Worked for me too.

lucasgf
May 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
me too, don't work.

I also copied them over and it did not work

FokkerCharlie
May 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Ace,

Copying the plugins worked for me, too. Thanks very much for posting that solution.

One small gripe- when I hover my mouse over the new mail icon, I get the tooltip animated as per a normal window with Compiz. Anyone found a way of getting rid of the effect?

Cheers
Charlie

EDIT: Problem solved, add !(name=mail-notification) to the compiz animations thingie.

dadodadodado
May 11th, 2009, 02:55 AM
i've solved only by editing the eplug file. in a terminal simply type

sudo gedit /usr/lib/evolution/2.26/plugins/org-jylefort-mail-notification.eplug
and find this line

location="/usr/lib/evolution/2.24/plugins/liborg-jylefort-mail-notification.so">
replace
2.24 with
save close and restart evolution. This is all you need!

lucasgf
May 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
dadodadodado, still not working.

THX for attetion.

bursucboghy
May 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i've solved only by editing the eplug file. in a terminal simply type

sudo gedit /usr/lib/evolution/2.26/plugins/org-jylefort-mail-notification.eplugand find this line

location="/usr/lib/evolution/2.24/plugins/liborg-jylefort-mail-notification.so">replace
2.24 with
2.26save close and restart evolution. This is all you need!
Worked for me!
Thanks!

relgames
May 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks a lot, it works!!

pandu.rs
May 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I have upgraded to jaunty and got into the same issue. I got into the same problem as reported in this thread and fixed it now. But now my mail notification windows have a different appearance (It is now popping up like a dialog box with 5-6 buttons and steals the focus). It is quite annoying for me. Anybody facing the same issue? Any solutions?

mdgrech
May 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Still having problems. After copying:

to:

/usr/lib/evolution/2.26/plugins/liborg-jylefort-mail-notification.so
/usr/lib/evolution/2.26/plugins/org-jylefort-mail-notification.eplug

and changing location to read 2.26 in eplug as noted. Now when I click on add a mailbox in the mail notifications properties window of mail notifer I see a bunch of folders, of which I select inbox. Than I get a flashing error message in my tray that reads:

inbox: unable to contact evolution

mdgrech
May 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Alright got it, you still have to keep evolution open. You can't dock evolution to the indicator applet like you can with pidgin which is silly (i'm sure there is a way but you can't do it easily). second between keeping evolution open with alltray, running mail notification, and constantly running evolution along with all its other processes such as evolution alarm notify sucks up damn near 50mb or ram! ridiculous. Even outlook doesn't sux nearly this bad.

This in particular ticks me off b/c we have open source leaders like Richard Stallman openly bashing Gmail and the so called Javascript trap encouraging us to open-source alternatives like Evolution yet we have to go through all this trouble just to get our desktop email client to behave how most people would expect it to behave.

Stallman bashing Javascript technologies like Javascript article on Tuxradar (http://www.tuxradar.com/content/avoiding-javascript-trap)

Edit: Already in Brain storm, vote for it if you agree:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/19454/

FokkerCharlie
May 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yes, I am seeing this, too.

I think that some sort of notification in the tray should be default behaviour, and not result in flashing, persistent warnings when Evolution is closed (how DARE we!!).

Unless there's something we've missed?

Charlie

enginuysal
May 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks ronaldrand. It worked for me as well.

filiatra
June 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hello! I've been trying to get the notification back in Jaunty for some time.
Thanx for the solution! I had to copy the files in the 2.26/plugins directory and then add mail-notification at system's startup programs.

Now the only thing is the blinking icon reporting "unable to contact evolution" when evolution is not running.. HOW did this just worked fine in 8.10 and is messed up now !!

EDIT: Solution found:
Run

gconf-editor /apps/mail-notification

and uncheck the "blink-on-errors" box.

wa98146
June 26th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hi, How do you add the mail-notification to Startup Applications? I opened the Startup Applications then Add, but I do not know where the mail-notification is located. Any help appreciated. Thanks

jcarrete
February 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have upgraded to jaunty and got into the same issue. I got into the same problem as reported in this thread and fixed it now. But now my mail notification windows have a different appearance (It is now popping up like a dialog box with 5-6 buttons and steals the focus). It is quite annoying for me. Anybody facing the same issue? Any solutions?

I had the same annoying problem. I managed to get ride of the message by

gconf-editor /apps/mail-notification

And then disabling popups.

Note that in Intrepid there was a nice-looking message near the notification area that would go away on its own in a few seconds unless you rolled the mouse over it. As noted above, in the current distribution (evolution version 2.28 under Karmic) I have resorted to eliminate notifications.

Cheers,

jcarrete

afridz
February 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
actually i came to the forum for the same prob.. any way i got the solution almost.. thanks all

1jackjack
March 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I can confirm that it still works to just copy those 2 plugin files from the 2.24 plugins directory into your version's plugin directory (I'm using evolution 2.28 on ubuntu 9.10), and update the path in the eplug file.

Now in my cluttered panel I have evolution running with alltray next to my mail-notification icon with the number of unread emails in my inbox. God I hate evolution, but it seems to be the best thing that supports MS Exchange, which I have to use at work :(