PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on USB drive for Booting & Installation?

ggonmar
December 26th, 2008, 03:39 AM
hey there!

so, my latest problem and my thoughts on how to solve it:
I have a cute lil laptop that lost its CD reader (burnt and unfixable), and the OS on it is acting funny and is rebooting everytime it starts to load... :S

So, I thought how I could make it work at last (since no CD => no easy reinstall :S), and I came to think of Boot USB with litle distros of Linux (Ubuntu, perhaps?;P)

However, what I've found so far is Linux that just loads from the USB and runs from there. If you remove the USB, PC doesnt load Linux... and thats not what I want! I'm looking for something that, first time I plug the USB, it loads Linux and INSTALLS itself on the Hard Drive... thus afterwards I dont need the USB anymore...

I wonder... does anything like this exist? how can I work it out?

waiting for your answers!!!
thanks so much in advance :)

Ggonmar

Dicinox
December 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM
U can use unetbooting for create a usb live if your laptop let you boot from usb drive...

The process is simple, you just download unetbooting and execute it, it give u options for download the iso of many distros or use a downloaded iso and select the drive u are going to use and that is, you boot from usb like u do with a cd and install just like always...

Dicinox
December 26th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Use unetbooting for create a usb live, then install like always...