PDA

View Full Version : Site That Sells Computers With Choice Of Operating System?

tdrusk
December 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I remember a site that let me pick the computer I wanted and the operating system, including OSX. Anyone know what it is?

kevin11951
December 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I remember a site that let me pick the computer I wanted and the operating system, including OSX. Anyone know what it is?

psystar: http://store.psystar.com/

phaed
December 26th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I can't believe that company still exists.

tdrusk
December 26th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I can't believe that company still exists.
Why's that?

Grant A.
December 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM
You can't install OS X on anything except Apple-made computers.

tdrusk
December 26th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Well not legally.

kevin11951
December 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM

are you serious? people have been cross installing osx since it was introduced, in fact there was recently a post about how to install osx on a dell mini 9.

shadylookin
December 26th, 2008, 05:23 AM
are you serious? people have been cross installing osx since it was introduced, in fact there was recently a post about how to install osx on a dell mini 9.

ya but it's illegal to do so. Apple might not have went after individuals but I know they definitely went after pystar(and recently won I believe)

TBOL3
December 26th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Umm... I heard that apple didn't actually sue them, because it would violate anti-trust laws. (Granted, I only heard it, no actual research involved here).

kevin11951
December 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM
ya but it's illegal to do so. Apple might not have went after individuals but I know they definitely went after pystar(and recently won I believe)

Umm... I heard that apple didn't actually sue them, because it would violate anti-trust laws. (Granted, I only heard it, no actual research involved here).

ya, apple cant sue, because if they do, they will lose... very badly.

redsoxreed
December 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Well, their website is down, so I assume they were sued. Apple is not sueing them for installing mac os on their machines, pystar was advertising mac os as their own product.

kevin11951
December 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Well, their website is down, so I assume they were sued. Apple is not sueing them for installing mac os on their machines, pystar was advertising mac os as their own product.

what do you mean its down!? it loads fine here?

inxygnuu
December 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I went the other day and it worked. I was looking at images, and then i found them. I can't believe they exist, because I'd imagine that Apple would find them.

EDIT: they are still there, just went.

Grant A.
December 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
You have it backwards. Apple got mad at Psystar for mac clones, and then Psystar turned around and sued Apple for Anti-Trust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pystar

redsoxreed
December 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Really!? I just tried it on 3 computers. Time to check my internet connection... :). Maybe it's because I tried to go to their front page? (www.pystar.com). That's where I had always gone before an that's what shows up in a google search.

Grant A.
December 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM
It's psystar, not pystar.

redsoxreed
December 26th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Whoops. That explains a lot. I need more sleep... Sorry for the false alarm.

MikeTheC
December 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Psystar pretty much is getting pwn3d by Apple's legal department, since the judge in the case found that Apple had done nothing wrong in how it makes and markets it's products.

MacRumors.com: Judge Dismisses Psystar's Anti-Trust Counterclaim Against Apple (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=602393)

billgoldberg
December 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
It has yet to be proven that OSX cannot legally be installed on non apple pc's.

But still, I don't want that on my pc.

MikeTheC
December 29th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Also, it's not "illegal". "Illegal" is when you break a law. Sorry, but it irritates me so when I see that term being mis-applied.

By installing Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware, you're violating the terms of their EULA. At most, Apple could theoretically come after you with a tort action for violation of the license. But that would still be a civil and not a criminal action.

handy
December 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
It has yet to be proven that OSX cannot legally be installed on non apple pc's.

But still, I don't want that on my pc.

Don't blame you, I very rarely use it on my iMac. :lolflag:

Arch is much better.