PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Will upgrading destroy my XP partition?

Cuttysark
December 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
How can I upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 without screwing up my XP partition?

Partyboi2
December 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
You can do a network upgrade or use the alternate cd to upgrade.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Cuttysark
December 25th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I just tried the network upgrade but it says I need to do any updates first and unfortunately I have a problem with that. For about three weeks now, I've been getting a message telling me it can only do a partial update, then when it's done, it tells me it can't authenticate the following brasero, libbabl-0.0-0 and libgegl-0.0-0. The thing is, it isn't even doing the partial cause the same list of available updates always shows at the beginning, some of them security updates. Barsero disappeared from the list for a few days but it's back now?

upchucky
December 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
click system>administration>software sources

set to main and if that does not get all sources there are other sources listed there to try also

cariboo
December 26th, 2008, 12:23 AM
IF you ever get a message syaing that it can only do a partial upgrade, don't do anything, give it a couple of days for the dependencies to show up. If you really have to do a partial upgrade, open a terminal and type:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

The above command will do an upgrade without breaking anything.

Jim

Cuttysark
December 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Jim, thankyou for the advice, that did the trick perfectly. I had this problem for going on four weeks now and was starting to worry regarding the security updates not going through. Now I can go ahead upgrading to 8.10, well, once I know it will work with my nvidia graphics card that is.