PDA

View Full Version : Post here if your Netbook has become your primary computer but you never intended it

Kernel Sanders
December 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have read more and more stories lately of people getting Netbooks to compliment their desktops or laptops, but since getting one have found themselves spending 99%/100% of their computing time on their netbooks.

Does that apply to anyone here? I don't yet have a netbook, but can so see it accidentally becoming my primary computer when I do.

Steve1961
December 25th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Yep, got an eeepc 1000H when they first came out, intended as a spare pc/toy really. However, since then my job takes me on the road a lot and I tend to spend most of my time living in hotels. Combining the eeepc with a mobile broadband dongle has resulted in a great mobile solution, and I hardly ever boot my other laptop now.

RookieUbuntuUser58
December 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Same here bought my MSI Wind to compliment my current laptop and desktops. Ended up selling my laptop since the Wind was much easier to carry around (didn't take up much space) and was quite functional. Only thing lacking is in the gaming department but I dont game much, so replacing my laptop was okay. Still have my desktops though incase I want to play games or have to do something needing more processing power.

billgoldberg
December 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I have read more and more stories lately of people getting Netbooks to compliment their desktops or laptops, but since getting one have found themselves spending 99%/100% of their computing time on their netbooks.

Does that apply to anyone here? I don't yet have a netbook, but can so see it accidentally becoming my primary computer when I do.

I only use my netbook when I can't use my desktop.

gn2
December 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I gave up waiting for a decent netbook to become available during the summer and bought a 12" Core 2 Duo Asus F9E laptop instead.

I rarely use my desktop PC now, but doubt if it would be the same with a netbook, which just can't do all the things that a regular laptop can do.

halovivek
December 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM

i have planned to buy the desktop computer. but the thing is i am one of the computer lover. so i bought laptop and i am using that for more than 5 years, this is my second computer that to laptop. in every laptop one os always will be linux for me. started with red hat. now i am in ubuntu.

dean.barnett
December 25th, 2008, 08:59 PM
My Dell Mini was delivered in November and instantly became my primary device, replacing my desktop and 17" laptop. I resort to the desktop for intensive tasks, like video editing and seeding torrents. Since I was about 80% converted to cloud computing anyway, the Mini made the remainder a snap to do.

The only problem I run into is the x386 architecture issue. I'd guess when lpia is more common the problem will solve itself

kerry_s
December 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
i'm still trying to get mine, but still short on cash. :(
i'm planning on making it my primary though.
i'm trying to get the 2gopc (aka:classmate2)( http://www.2gopc.com/2goPC_atom.html )
costs $400, i'm shy by $150.
i chose that for full linux compatibility, it comes with windows, but you can download linux for it ( http://people.ubuntu.com/~ogra/classmate/images/hardy/ ), it uses ubuntu, but i'll proably go straight debian.

OutOfReach
December 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
My sister got an Acer Aspire One (non-SSD version) for christmas and I am currently setting up Ubuntu on it. I must say that it is very good and fast. It is very compact and good looking. I've been using it for the last 2 hours and when I came back to my normal Laptop, it felt huge, lol.
But I don't think these netbooks are enough to replace normal laptops. (Unless your a traveler).

daxumaming
December 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Got and MSI Wind, and found it much more pleasing than my laptop. Reformatted my laptop to get rid of the junk, and gave it to my wife. Im sticking with my netbook.

linuxguymarshall
December 26th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just got it yesterday. Lenovo S10. More power than my desktop except in terms of processor power where my 2.9 GHz processor kills it and video where my NVIDIA 6200 overclocked beats out Intel by far.

But seeing as how I have tweaked everything to run half life 2, counter strike, portal, roller coaster tycoon 3, doom 3 and everything else without a hitch then I have made it my primary machine.

Also my PSU blew up in my desktop :lolflag:

notwen
December 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
My fiance uses the Inspiron Mini 9 ever since we received ours. In turn, giving me back my Inspiron 1420n. =]

mips
December 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
My question to all these netbook users is how do you manage with the low screen resolution as I have a 1024x768 laptop and find it lacking?

diskotek
December 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
actually i'm thinking on having asus 1000h since it has 10" screen. actually i'm curious if it can handle traktor dj studio and usb midi controller, or vj application or ableton live (not at the same time of course).

OutOfReach
December 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
My question to all these netbook users is how do you manage with the low screen resolution as I have a 1024x768 laptop and find it lacking?

I too thought that such a small screen would be impossible to use but you get used to it after using it for some time and it becomes 'normal'. And TBH my sister's Acer's screen is a lot more clearer than my laptop's.

Kernel Sanders
December 26th, 2008, 09:51 PM
actually i'm thinking on having asus 1000h since it has 10" screen. actually i'm curious if it can handle traktor dj studio and usb midi controller, or vj application or ableton live (not at the same time of course).

The Samsung NC10 also has a 10 inch screen and is more likely to give you what your looking for tbh.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=mobilecomputing&subtype=netbook&model_cd=NP-NC10-KA01US

Onyros
December 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Got and MSI Wind, and found it much more pleasing than my laptop. Reformatted my laptop to get rid of the junk, and gave it to my wife. Im sticking with my netbook.I have an Advent 4211, which is just a rebadged MSI Wind, and without thinking much about it, I see myself using the desktop much, much less.

The keyboard is surprisingly good on these laptops. :)

My question to all these netbook users is how do you manage with the low screen resolution as I have a 1024x768 laptop and find it lacking?I had actually feared the same, but my main laptop was a Thinkpad X31 before, and it only had 1024x768, those 128 pixels don't make that much of a difference. And the screen, at least in mine, is pretty good, much better than the Thinkpad's (which was expected, as the X31 was about 5 or 6 years old). Crisper, brighter, really comfortable to look at.

majabl
December 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Same here.... Which is why I'm holding off from buying a netbook for now!

HermanAB
December 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I've been using an Eee PC 701 since last year October. I have a larger screen and keyboard on my desk and plug that in when I'm at home/office. It is the extremely easy portability of the little thing that hooks you.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM
i got an eee 1000h a few weeks ago, and it has already turned out to be my primary computer and it will stay so until i finish writing my thesis i guess!