PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on Dell Vista laptop

LegoAddict
December 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
So I just got a Dell Inspiron 1525 from my parents for Christmas. It has a huge hard drive and is, of course, running Vista.

However, on my old laptop I was running an Ubuntu 8.10 single boot. Having barely used this hard drive, I was wondering if it would be possible to carve partitions for Ubuntu out of the drive without having to reinstall Windows Vista for a dual-boot. I know Wubi is there but I like the full installs because then higher level functions are more reliable and it's not prone to Vista acting up.

I don't have any special software and can only afford Open Source stuff.

Pumalite
December 25th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Allocaqte space for Ubuntu with the Vista partitioner first. Then install.
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty_p2?

LegoAddict
December 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
So just to be clear: This will keep my current Vista installation completely intact?

I don't have any files or new apps on the computer yet except Google Chrome, but reinstalling Windows is such a hassle...

theozzlives
December 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Congrats, I got a 1525 for my B-day in May... it's great! Yea, just use Vista to resize the partition for Ubuntu and you'll be fine. BTW: The 1525 will run 64 bit.

LegoAddict
December 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Really? Vista says that I'm running 32 bits... I have an Intel T8100 Core2 Duo 2.1 ghz and 4 gigs of RAM.

Is it a 64bit capable processor and should I install Ubuntu x64

It's such a nice laptop. My old one was... well... older... Tinny speakers, weighed a tonne, Pentium M 1.6 ghz single core 1 GB RAM.

theozzlives
December 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Faster processor but mine runs 64. Run the live CD, it won't run if you can't.

Pumalite
December 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Besides, 64 bit will make better use of your RAM.