PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't load Ubuntu after changing hard drive

pumex1990
December 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi,
I got new hard drive (sata), and connected it to my computer. Than I created partitons on it, and copied /home on one of them, because I wanted to unplug an old hard drive, and keep only new one. So after copying /home to the new partiton i turned the computer off, and disconnected the old hard drive. Than I installed Ubuntu on one partiton of the new hard drive, and I ticked the partition that I copied my /home folder to be mounted as /home. The setup started to copying files, and when the installation was about to finish, the installation window disappeared, and after some time a new window appeared: "Sorry, the program "ubiquity closed unexpectedly". If I restart the computer, it try to boot from cd, and when it can't because there is no cd in the drive, it just do nothing.

What do you think should I do?

And sorry for my English ;-)

caljohnsmith
December 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
How about moving your /home folder temporarily back to your original HDD (if it isn't still all ready on that HDD), install Ubuntu to your new HDD with a newly formatted /home partition, and then afterwards copying your /home folder to the new /home partition. I think you might have better luck that way, but let me know how it goes.

pumex1990
December 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
IT turned out, that my Ubuntu CD was broken, and at the end of installation something was wrong :) I installed Ubuntu from another CD, and everything is ok :)

Thanks for help