PDA

View Full Version : KDE-4.2 from Ubuntu Live CD on to Fedora-7

begarkitta
December 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have Fedora-7 on my machine with KDE-3.5 desktop interface. Can I use Ubuntu-8.10 (Intrepid-Ibex)disk (Live CD) and use just the KDE-4.2 from it? If it is possible what commands should I use. Please help a beginner.

Changturkey
December 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
1. Download Ubuntu 8.10 or Kububtu 8.10.
2. http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2-beta-2
Follow those instructions
3. Enjoy. If you are comfortable with command line, it is better to use it than Adept for Kubuntu; however, you need to use Adept to add the repository.

.nedberg
December 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have Fedora-7 on my machine with KDE-3.5 desktop interface. Can I use Ubuntu-8.10 (Intrepid-Ibex)disk (Live CD) and use just the KDE-4.2 from it? If it is possible what commands should I use. Please help a beginner.

If you want to install KDE 4.2 on your Fedora system, then no, you can't install it from the Kubuntu CD. Fedora uses .rpm files and Kubuntu uses .deb files for installing.

Why not just install Kubuntu 8.10? Or find some packages for KDE 4.2 for Fedora, I am sure they exist...

forrestcupp
December 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM
If you want to install KDE 4.2 on your Fedora system, then no, you can't install it from the Kubuntu CD. Fedora uses .rpm files and Kubuntu uses .deb files for installing.

Why not just install Kubuntu 8.10? Or find some packages for KDE 4.2 for Fedora, I am sure they exist...

It's not just the debs and rpms. The whole file hierarchy and setup works just enough differently that it's not possible. Debian uses debs, too, yet it's not recommended to use Debian packages in Ubuntu and vice versa.

You can't mix and match distros.

But you can just run Kubuntu with KDE 4.2 from the Live CD if you don't mind having a very slow, CD driven system.

Changturkey
December 25th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Oh, and there is the openSuse KDE4 Live CD with 4.2 Beta2. I believe there is a Debian one and Fedora one as well.

begarkitta
December 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the reply.