PDA

View Full Version : Monitors - What Would You Buy?

Roasted
December 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
So, I just bought a new monitor. It's a Dell S2409W. It's a 24" 1080p 1920x1080 5ms hdmi/dvi/vga monitor. I got it for 280, marked down from 350 @ Staples. So far, I love this thing.

After I got it, I started reading reviews on certain monitors. I learned a lot about LCD panel technology. I started to find it interesting how there were many different kinds, such as MVA, TN, etc...

Say you had to buy a new monitor. What would you get? I keep hearing people saying that TN monitors are awful... yet TN is 90% of the market. Haahaa?? I understand TN's have sub-par viewing angles, but with my computer I don't generally lay from my bed caddy-corner to my desk chair to use my computer, which is pretty much the only time I'd have an issue with this. Plus, considering the prices of other non TN monitors, it's mind blowing.

But, I have to ask... how many people care about this? Are typical TN monitors good for you? Or do you "need" something better? What are your thoughts?

jrusso2
December 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
TN is the cheaper LCD. Its performance is worse as is the viewing angle and the colors esp the blacks are not as good.

But if you don't care and don't want to spend a lot TN is much cheaper.

Roasted
December 25th, 2008, 07:54 AM
TN is the cheaper LCD. Its performance is worse as is the viewing angle and the colors esp the blacks are not as good.

But if you don't care and don't want to spend a lot TN is much cheaper.

Yeah. I'm just trying to get the drift of the reasoning behind why people by certain things. When I go on Dell's web site and I see one 24" monitor for 300 and the next runner up (being a non TN panel monitor) costing 680, it's just no comparison in my mind.

If I would be in various parts of the room as I use my computer, I can see it being an issue. Sitting at my desk? Nah..

Prefix100
December 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
What do you mean by there is a 'problem with the viewing angle'?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a HD monitor, DVI connectors are HD aren't they?

OffHand
December 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I work at one of the top 5 advertising companies in the world (not size wise) and to use the words of the design studio manager:

A 200 euro monitor is as good as a 5000 euro top of the line, as long as you calibrate it properly.

Roasted
December 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Most affordable monitors (meaning, monitors that aren't 680 dollars for a 22") use TN panels, which offer quicker response times (good for gaming) and are more affordable, easier to manufacture, etc. Regardless of Samsung, LG, Dell, etc, the vast majority of these are TN panels. But if you notice, Dell has an UltraSharp line where the monitors START at 680 some dollars. These use a different panel type which is better suited for graphic designers and whatnot due to the fact the color reproduction is a little better along with the viewing angles: i.e. you can stand off to the far side and it still looks decent, whereas with a TN panel whites fade to a goldish yellow.

But my question is: For the average user, has anybody considered a non TN panel monitor for home use, and if so, why? I'm just looking from the standpoint of, it's a monitor, you sit in front of it, not off to the far side in the back corner of the room where a viewing angle would be a pain. I even watch movies on my monitor, but my monitor and my TV alike, I tend to turn it on the desk/counter until it aims where I'll be sitting.

*shrug* I'm just curious to get some people's opinions here. There's some differences in the panels but a huge price gap, and I'm curious if anybody has made the plunge for the higher model ones.

mips
December 25th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I work at one of the top 5 advertising companies in the world (not size wise) and to use the words of the design studio manager:

A 200 euro monitor is as good as a 5000 euro top of the line, as long as you calibrate it properly.

Sometimes it's hard to calibrate an elcheapo monitor but I hear what you are saying. Calibration won't do jack for viewing angles though.
Most people don't have a clue as to what calibration is though, they just plug it in and go.

Maxxtsch
December 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I got a kick a** 19' Hanns-G monitor at CompUSA for $120 it was on sale xD

Spr0k3t
December 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
My main desktop monitors are using the TN panels. They work perfect for my needs. My kitchen monitor uses a 28" non-tn display due to angles needed to view it.

SuperSonic4
December 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Here's hoping, I'm pretty sure they are: mine HD ready tv is connected via DVI

Roasted
December 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
My main desktop monitors are using the TN panels. They work perfect for my needs. My kitchen monitor uses a 28" non-tn display due to angles needed to view it.

Kitchen monitor?

You have a computer in your kitchen? Or is this just a computer monitor used for TV?

That makes more sense in that case. I guess the thing I've noticed is that, if I'm going to be at an angle where the colors are off enough to bother me, then I'm already at an angle to where I'd readjust the monitor to my viewing angle anyway. Make sense?

I haven't really noticed much of a difference in colors from TN and non TN panels though... I don't know if I just have really good ones but, I've noticed some that aren't so hot, but the LCDs I got, which range from eMachines, Viewsonic, to Dell, all look great.

laceration
December 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I have a 42" lcd and a laptop. I do use the 42" for my main computer monitor. I am a cheapskate so you know what kind they are. I find for both displays I have to crank them all the way down or they are too bright, but video is too dark. The weakest thing is a dark video scene, like at night. There isn't a lot of nuanced blacks and greys, it just melds into a hard to see darkness. My displays are a couple of years old at least, so they probably are not as good as current stuff. 42" 1920 x 1080 HD video is still pretty damn good though, no major complaints.

DVI connectors are HD. They are the top of the line connection for video generally in use. They are same exact thing as HDMI, the only difference being, HDMI has sound too. There are cables with HDMI at one end and DVI at the other.

Roasted
December 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah. The main reoccuring thing I hear about TN panels is the lack of a deep black color. It's one of those things that you don't notice it until you size it up against another monitor that can handle blacks better.

However, TN panels must be improving. Because I have a 22" from 3 years ago and a brand new Dell 24", both with TN panels. And the 24" looks a lot better, even with blacks. Not to say the 22" doesn't look good, in fact I won't sell it cause I still think it looks damn good, BUT the Dell has a bit sharper range of colors, from what I can see.

Spr0k3t
December 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Kitchen monitor?

You have a computer in your kitchen? Or is this just a computer monitor used for TV?

If you have a place for one, they can be extremely handy. The only thing I would like is a touchscreen for it. The computer system is only 1.2GHz laptop based processor with a very minimal graphics processor. The intention of the system is only for checking out recipes, storing notes (grocery list), watching cooking shows (it's networked to the mythbox), and whatnot. The system hibernates beautifully so it's quite "green". The system runs on reduced power and no fans, just a very large heat sync. I spent about twice as much on the monitor than I did on the computer.

sofasurfer
December 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
LG Flatron W2252TQ. Everything I need.

ssam
December 25th, 2008, 10:04 PM
The AnandTech LCD thread (http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206) has loads of info.

if you are sat in front of a big screen then there is a range of angles between the centre and the edges, and you need good consistency for photos. If move my head much with my current monitor (a nothing fancy NEC LCD175VXM+) there is a shift in brightness/contrast.

cb951303
December 25th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I would buy a lacie with A-TW-IPS technology, if I had the money.

handy
December 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
The one with the best display, longest warranty that uses the least amount of electricity.

Roasted
December 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
The one with the best display, longest warranty that uses the least amount of electricity.

But do you compare TN vs MVA panels, etc? Or do you just go with what looks good to you and is easy on the wallet with power draw?

mips
December 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
LG Flatron W2252TQ. Everything I need.

Hey, that's what I have. Not the best monitor out there (my 21" diamondtron crt wipes the floor with it but heavy on the eyes) but not bad either.

handy
December 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM
But do you compare TN vs MVA panels, etc? Or do you just go with what looks good to you and is easy on the wallet with power draw?

I'm not looking for a monitor, so I was just throwing out a line on the topic.

I'm not a graphics pro', so as long as the monitor has crisp definition, rich colours (cause I like em), lots of contrast & black is black whilst the rest of the colours look good & are not too dark also, then I'm easily pleased. ;-)

The power draw is not about easy on the wallet, it is about the world that my grandchildren will be suffering under.

I'll be solar powered in another couple of months, so I can feel a tiny bit less guilty for the rest of my life.

[Edit:] My 24" iMac's display is wonderful to my eyes, though I'm sure there are people that would pick it to pieces.

My 19" Philips 109S CRT monitor is getting tired, I have to push it's brightness & contrast, to its credit it has done a lot of work though.

I recently picked up a 14" KTX digital CRT monitor at the tip for $5-, it is like new, crisp, clear, bright with lots of contrast, the Cyrix 200Mhz box that was its partner truly looked like it had not been used. There was no dust at all to be seen inside it, the CPU heat-sink & fan were dust free as was the PSU. I'll never know what its story is. I've set it up as a backup IPCop box until a better one comes along at the tip.

I recently took my 19" Sony G400 CRT monitor to the tip, which was sad. It cost me $1360- when I bought it new; it was really never a good monitor, its convergence was always out, & I could not correct it via adjustment. One day it made a pop (probably a capacitor) & was never the same, by that time it was unfortunately not worth spending the money on it to have it repaired. I really don't like the throw away society paradigm that drives consumerism.

gn2
December 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I sometimes use my laptop in the kitchen, viewing angle isn't a problem as the laptop can be placed anywhere on the kitchen table at any angle and the screen is hinged.

I have a music jukebox in the living room built from a Dell Optiplex SFF P3 and a 10" point of sale monitor that I got cheaply on eBay.
The viewing angle is fine because like most PC's it only gets looked at head on.

As for monitor types, so long as it works and the display is clear enough it's OK for me.
No way would I pay double the price for wider viewing angles, I would rather buy a swivel mount and keep the change.