PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] anything around like winamp?

danny_galaga
December 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
rhythmbox works ok. but two things irk me about it. one is that it seems to take a while to load up my playlist (394 songs). i should point out that maybe that has to do with the tunes being on a secondary hard drive. however that didnt stop winamp in xp loading the same list up straight away.

secondly, and more importantly for me, is the shuffle feature. in winamp, if i set it to shuffle, it scrambles the playlist. the list is quite eclectic, so this is handy. if im in the mood for some ambient stuff, i just delete tunes from that scrambled list that dont fit that mood. same if im in the mood for some heavy metal or whatever. that way i now have a random list but one that can be modified in seconds into a 'mood'. in rhythmbox, in shuffle mode, songs are picked randomly from an immobile list. so it might jump from Cradle of filth to Tanita Tikaram. with no control available to me.

so, are there any linux based players that scramble the list like in winamp?

jrusso2
December 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
The closest to WinAmp has always been XMMS which was meant to be a WinAmp clone.

MasterShihoChief
December 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I like amarok a lot. It has shuffle, and plays all my music from my external hdd without taking that long time you talk about with rythmbox to load the songs into the playlist. You add them in one time, make sure you add a automount into sessions and load everything into a playlist or collection one time (the only time it takes awhile), then save the playlist and it works like a dream for me.

Flicflak
December 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
You could also install Audacious, which is another Winamp clone.

balaknair
December 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
IMO, The best way to enjoy music- Amarok
It makes managing your entire collection and playlists a snap.

You can also configure Amarok to use MySQL instead of SQLite for its music database; for huge collections(say 10000+ tracks) this speeds things up quite a bit.

This from a former Winamp junkie. I've found Amarok to be far more versatile and intuitive tool than Winamp(btw, don't you find the latest version of Winamp a bit bloated? The video playback function is superfluous for me).

My tip would be use Amarok for a while(maybe a week), explore the options and functions available, and then decide.

Other possible apps:
1) Banshee - another iTunes clone
2) Exaile - an Amarok clone in Gnome
3) Listen - a nice but slightly buggy player
4) XMMS- it's rather like Winamp Classic

danny_galaga
December 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM
hmm, so many choices! im not one to automatically update something just 'because' so i hadnt noticed that winamp was different. winamp on my xp partition hasnt been updated for probably two years or more!

i might try amarok first, see what i think...

thanks, guys (",)

adobrakic
December 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM
+1 for Audacious

Used Amarok for a while, but Audacious is exactly like Winamp and uses less memory.

--edit--

Also mark this thread as solved, if your question has been answered.

ZhiZaki
December 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Didn't XMMS get axed and some other player rose from the ashes?

adobrakic
December 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
^
Yeah, Audacious

danny_galaga
December 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
+1 for Audacious

Used Amarok for a while, but Audacious is exactly like Winamp and uses less memory.

--edit--

Also mark this thread as solved, if your question has been answered.

i have really bad internet, so i havent downloaded anything yet. as soon as i find one that does what i was asking, ill mark it as 'solved' (",)

jrusso2
December 25th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Didn't XMMS get axed and some other player rose from the ashes?

I think XMMS is back so many people wanted it to continue. Personally I use Amarok and I feel thats the best in that class but he wanted something just like WinAmp for linux and XMMS is the closest.

http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Main_Page

Kabim
December 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
What I miss in Amarok is that you can't have LSD-like visualizations like in Winamp with G-Force... G-Force was made by the same dude that made the iTunes visuals.

danny_galaga
December 26th, 2008, 06:13 AM
ok, amarok didnt work properly straight away. so thats one 'no' :)

ill try xmms next...

ZhiZaki
December 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
ok, amarok didnt work properly straight away. so thats one 'no' :)

ill try xmms next...

XMMS or Audacious man.... same feel as winamp and not nearly the memory hog of WMP.....

danny_galaga
December 26th, 2008, 06:34 AM
um, ive downloaded xmms2. now what? why does it not show in 'applications'?

danny_galaga
December 26th, 2008, 07:33 AM
ok, thought it would be third time lucky. downloaded audacious. it looks just like winamp, and randomises the way i want (",)

only. it doesnt actually play any music...

this is really annoying...

danny_galaga
December 27th, 2008, 03:11 AM
well, audacious seems to be working now! i didnt do anything to make it work. a little TOO similar to a windows app ;)

so for now, as long as it keeps working, id say this is solved! anyone who needs a player for the same reasons i do, use audacious (",)

moredhel
December 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM
FYI, xmms 2 isn't like winamp. It's more like mpd.

EDIT: Also, what didn't work about amarok? If you used it you would have the advantage of making biased playlists so you can have it make you playlists that correlate in genre which seems to be someone you are looking for unless I misunderstood you posting.

danny_galaga
December 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
when i tried to open amarok, it said something or rather was missing. i tried it anyway, and it wouldnt play mp3s. i didnt care to explore what was wrong, since there were still a few other players to try that might be better for me anyway. if audacious holds out and doesnt go 'windows' on me, then i'm happy (",)

Scorponok
December 30th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I would like to know which is the best player for listening to albums from a networked location and also mainly visualizations. I'm talking stuff like r4 and g-force.