PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hanging completely when using the nvidia proprietary drivers

Keyper7
December 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hello,

I've got quite a strange problem today and I was wondering if anyone here knows an workaround or at least knows what I'm talking about, because as far as I could find there are no similar reports around here or Launchpad.

I installed Intrepid on a desktop with a GeForce 6600. I tried using the nvidia proprietary drivers on my desktop because the open nv driver was giving annoying black bars on the side of which I could not get rid of. It worked for the black bars, but now I'm facing random hangs, on which the monitor goes into standby mode and absolutely nothing works: can't switch to a terminal, can't restart X, can't even use Alt+SysRq+REISUB.

I can't give steps to reproduce this problem, it seems completely random. All I know is that reverting to the open drivers apparently makes the problem go away.

Does anyone here have any idea of what I can do? Well, first of all, does anyone here have any idea of what I'm facing? Perhaps the driver is triggering a problem not necessarily related to the video board? I've never faced a hang this harsh before...

PS: Both 173 and 177 give the problem. It also happens in the Live CD.

upchucky
December 25th, 2008, 01:40 AM
there was a notice when 8.10 was released that it was not compatible with 3d video. since then i have heard rumors that there is a new nvidia release that has been made functional, i chose to stay with 8.04 until the time that either 8.10 or the next release is a lts release.

however if i see more people having good luck with 3d on 8.10, i will ply with it too.

Keyper7
December 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I hate to bump, but my options are quite limited right now...