PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Buffer I/O Errors

jtdeloach10
December 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
During installation I try to install latest Ubuntu 8.10, freshly burned about 10 minutes ago, not a smudge or scratch on it, but when I go to install I get the "Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0" except the block numbers go 0,1,2,3 and like a one in the thousands. And this just repeats I also get like an "end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0". After enough time it just goes into some BusyBox thing. I have no clue what it is or what to do. In addition my BIOS while booting says that Primary Hardisk 0 not found" I do not know if this is related, I have two hardrives (not in at the same time), I could not get eithier to work.

Thanks a ton in advance!

P.S. I was wanting to do a Live Trial, then install through there since I get Squashfs errors if I just go install from boot menu.

abn91c
December 24th, 2008, 11:58 PM
maybe the actual drive is dirty inside :confused:

jtdeloach10
December 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Well I have used it for the past couple of months as a DVD Player for my laptop with a special IDE to USB cord and have had no problems playing but DVD's. But now that you remind me I could never read CD's with it. But I used to be able, I think that was just a problem with the laptop as I have, since my last post, come close to completing the installation except I left it alone for a while to eat dinner and I came back and it was asleep so I had to reboot it.

Anybody else have any ideas?

If I didn't love computers so much, I would HATE them :D

abn91c
December 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM
are you using cdr or cdrw, on some live cd's cdr's are the way to go

RJARRRPCGP
December 25th, 2008, 05:06 AM
During installation I try to install latest Ubuntu 8.10, freshly burned about 10 minutes ago, not a smudge or scratch on it, but when I go to install I get the "Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0" except the block numbers go 0,1,2,3 and like a one in the thousands. And this just repeats I also get like an "end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0". After enough time it just goes into some BusyBox thing. I have no clue what it is or what to do. In addition my BIOS while booting says that Primary Hardisk 0 not found" I do not know if this is related, I have two hardrives (not in at the same time), I could not get eithier to work.

Thanks a ton in advance!

P.S. I was wanting to do a Live Trial, then install through there since I get Squashfs errors if I just go install from boot menu.

Looks like a bad HDD or bad HDD connection!

Is it a Maxtor 6E040L0 or Maxtor 6E030L0?

Those Maxtor models are known to have major problems.