PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu hands when uninstalling programs

ORFisHome
December 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I purchased a Dell Mini 9 for my wife, and I am a TOTAL Ubuntu novice. I was trying to clean up some of the bloat last night and the computer hung up when I was uninstalling some programs. Being the novice that I am, I had no clue how to reboot safely. I simply turned off the machine and powered back up again after a minute or so. When I next tried to uninstall a program, I received an error message instructing me to run 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix an interrupted process. I finally figured out how to do that, but I don't know if it really worked. Now whenever I try to uninstall a program, the cursor simply spins and hangs up. I don't have the option to apply the changes. I can only hit cancel. What have I done and how can I resolve it?! Thanks.

damis648
December 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
What software were you trying to uninstall? Were you using Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove Programs? Try opening a terminal and issue that command like so:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

theozzlives
December 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
sudo dpkg -a --configure

sudo apt-get install -f

ORFisHome
December 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I was trying to uninstall some of the utility and accessory programs like Accessibility options (Screen Magnifier) by using Add/Remove programs. I tried sudo dpkg... It prompted me for a password and then blinked like it did something but no change.

This is the base Mini model with a 4GB SSD, so I'm trying to free up space.

What does sudo apt-get install -f do?

Thanks for the quick reply.

damis648
December 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
That command fixes broken packages, which might possibly work. Try it.

snova
December 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I purchased a Dell Mini 9 for my wife, and I am a TOTAL Ubuntu novice. I was trying to clean up some of the bloat last night and the computer hung up when I was uninstalling some programs. Being the novice that I am, I had no clue how to reboot safely. I simply turned off the machine and powered back up again after a minute or so. When I next tried to uninstall a program, I received an error message instructing me to run 'dpkg --configure -a' to fix an interrupted process. I finally figured out how to do that, but I don't know if it really worked. Now whenever I try to uninstall a program, the cursor simply spins and hangs up. I don't have the option to apply the changes. I can only hit cancel. What have I done and how can I resolve it?! Thanks.

If you haven't found it yet, it's System -> Shut Down.

Ubuntu doesn't really like being turned off like that...