PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken packages?

Lukeman
December 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, I am new to the whole Ubuntu experience. I have always been attracted to it, and am now trying it out for the first time.

I am on a laptop, therefore I have a 250GB external HD that I am putting the whole Ubuntu on, my internal is only 80GB and I have already used around 60GB. So I installed Ubuntu fine on the external and it booted up just fine. Everything worked on it. Then I get the message "322 updates found". So I downloaded them all, then started installing all of them. Every time I would try to install them, it would come up "1 package is broken, use the Broken filter to find it". Well, I didn't know how to do that, so I just kept trying, and it finally installed some of them. But I looked for help, and found the interface of Package something. So I find the thing that says, fix broken packages, so I try that, and just keep getting an error. So I tried to restart it, so some of the updates would work, and now I can't even log in anymore. I failed, epically. If anyone has some suggestions of what I can do, start from scratch, etc, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke

zvacet
December 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
On the start when you see grub select recovery mode and boot in it.After you are loged in type

apt-get -f install

Lukeman
December 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
On the start when you see grub select recovery mode and boot in it.After you are loged in type

apt-get -f install

Where do I type that at?

StOoZ
December 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM
in the terminal

zvacet
December 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Where do I type that at?

When you boot in recovery mode it will be obvious where to type.