FuturePilot
December 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
This sounds rather interesting.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njk1Ng

Discuss.

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Sounds interesting.

Ultimately, I think if Compiz++ gives better memory management/performance/stability, it'll win without question...time will tell :)

Mr. Picklesworth
December 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Does it manage windows properly or succeed at not breaking Fitt's law? If so, this sounds like a nice idea!

artir
December 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Seems promising, but it says they gave up on the multi-screen support :(
It will end merging with the main compiz, like beryl..

Chame_Wizard
December 24th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Looks nice to me .

artir
December 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM

igknighted
December 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM

It's now written in c++, so merging back would require a rewrite (and it sounds like a loss of features), so I doubt that will happen.

Also, you can still use multiple screens. You just can't stretch one cube across them. This never really worked right in compiz anyways, so you aren't really losing anything.

billgoldberg
December 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Sounds good to me.

Bring it on.

MasterNetra
December 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds promising indeed.

Nepherte
December 24th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It sounds good for those who want eye candy.

klange
December 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Just when I thought I could leave for a little while and work on my own stuff... And now I need to actually learn C++?

MaxIBoy
December 24th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I see no reason why old C Compiz plugins won't work on Compiz++, as a lot of programming projects mix languages all the time.

One thing I'm looking for is a compositing WM that won't fight games for control of the graphics card. Running games+compiz has resulted in terrible performance and system instability for me on two different computers. A fix for that would be cool, but given OpenGL's state-machine design, that would require some fancy coding work.

(By the way, C++ is very similar to C. I know C++, not C, but I can understand, and even modify C code without too many problems. I wouldn't worry, WindowsSucks.)

oedipuss
December 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'm kind of worried that compiz will eventually degenerate into elaborate but useless animation plugin addons without any real advancement.
For instance, there still isn't a way other than keyboard shortcuts and screen edges to activate or use plugins, and that can become very confusing very fast (especially when defaults sometimes conflict with other apps, like the gimp). Window decorations could expose more than minimize and maximize actions, for example.

I hope this renews the whole thing, if the devs choose to work with it.

plun
December 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
And now I need to actually learn C++?

No I don't think so after reading comments about this proposal...
but perhaps for other reasons...:-k

klange
December 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
No I don't think so after reading comments about this proposal...
but perhaps for other reasons...:-k

Heh? Why does everyone seem to think I can sit back and do nothing? My comment was a joke anyway: Just when I thought I could settle down for a few months, I now have good reason to actually take the time to really learn C++ and get back into things.

@oedipuss: But you can do that, it just requires writing a decorator that can send DBus events (it's not Compiz's job to draw window decorations, so it's not technically our job to add this functionality to what we have, but don't worry: If and when b0le's new decorator is finished, it'll definitely have this and more)

plun
December 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Heh? Why does everyone seem to think I can sit back and do nothing? My comment was a joke anyway: Just when I thought I could settle down for a few months, I now have good reason to actually take the time to really learn C++ and get back into things.

Ok... my comment was more about the need for learning C++ for Compiz. :wink:

(after reading a few "upstream" discussions)

MaxIBoy
December 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
@oedipuss: But you can do that, it just requires writing a decorator that can send DBus events (it's not Compiz's job to draw window decorations, so it's not technically our job to add this functionality to what we have, but don't worry: If and when b0le's new decorator is finished, it'll definitely have this and more)

Hopefully this functionality will be themable? (So you could apply a theme, and new buttons with new functions will appear.)

Twitch6000
December 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Now this is some great news :D.

It is even able to be a full windows manager =].

Anyone got a download of it yet lol?

Starks
January 1st, 2009, 12:19 AM
Yeah.

http://gitweb.compiz-fusion.org/?p=compiz;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/compiz%2B%2B

CShadowRun
January 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM
It's now written in c++, so merging back would require a rewrite (and it sounds like a loss of features), so I doubt that will happen.

Also, you can still use multiple screens. You just can't stretch one cube across them. This never really worked right in compiz anyways, so you aren't really losing anything.

I don't think this is what was meant by dropping multiple screen support.
There are a few diffrent types of "multi screen" in linux

multi head - Having more than one physical monitor, with the screen spanned across all of them with xinerama/twinview/xrandr. Support for this is NOT being dropped

multi display - Having multiple X servers running. Support for this is being dropped

multi screen - Having multiple X screens (usually seperate graphics cards not connected by xinerama/twinview/xrandr. Support for this is being dropped.

Ultimately, this is a good thing. Compiz current support for multi display/screen is near unusable. Having a setup like this will allow you to run one instance of compiz per display/screen, and everything should "Just work".

So in short, Twinview/Xinrama/Xrandr users have nothing to worry about, and people with multi screen/display are going to be happy. So it's all good :)

kdub432
January 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM
It sends the project back to alpha. its a bad thing

MadAGu
August 28th, 2009, 04:35 PM
At least this is some news... i thought the hole project was dead...