PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why problems with download from main US server

wpshooter
December 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Why is it that when I do an installation of Intrepid and then subsequently try to download and install the available updates for the O/S thru the update manager process that I get an error basically saying that all of the updates could not be downloaded and applied and asking me if I want to continue to ignore those updates and apply the ones that it can retrieve ? This is from a virgin install of Intrepid which has the download server set as the Main US Ubuntu server.

If I then go into software sources and do a search for the best server and switch to that server, (that the O/S finds to be the best/fastest), I can then download and apply ALL of the updates just fine.

It would seem to me that the main US server would likely be the most reliable (if not the fastest) way of downloading and applying these updates. I would think that the main US server would be more likely to have all of the available updates for the Ubuntu O/S than some of the servers at other locations.

Thanks.

gettinoriginal
December 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
They all have the same info, you are just being redirected to the one that can best service you due to location and availability. If we all used the same server, it would crash and be useless to anyone. :P

wpshooter
December 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
They all have the same info, you are just being redirected to the one that can best service you due to location and availability. If we all used the same server, it would crash and be useless to anyone. :P

Thanks.

Are you saying basically that when I get this error message, that it means that the main US server is being overloaded with requests ?

Thanks.

taurus
December 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Either overload or down.