PDA

View Full Version : Working Christmas Eve? Come say hello!

Rocket2DMn
December 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
First, Merry Christmas to all! I'm just curious to see who else is working today, December 24th, rather than traveling and/or spending time with family and friends. Come on in and chat, let us know what you're up to.

I'll start - I'm a software engineer in Pennsylvania, and I'm flying to California ON Christmas day to visit my family, I'm only taking Friday off of work. Not doing anything for New Years either, just more work on the the Eve and the day after. I don't have many vacation holidays hours, and I'm trying to hoard them for a trip to Europe next summer with friends.

Eat well, be merry, stay safe, and spread a little Christmas love!

Sealbhach
December 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I'm working today. We're not doing much though, mostly we're tracking Santa on Google Earth.:)

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I'm working today. We're not doing much though, mostly we're tracking Santa on Google Earth.:)

NoradSanta is also on twitter (http://www.twitter.com/noradsanta) ;)

And I'm not working as such, but I'm uber busy today, and have no time to relax, which is my justification for posting :)

gs.linxusr08
December 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Off for 2 weeks,surfing web with one hand and I wrap gifts with the other.
:) Happy Christmas :)

Daveski
December 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yep - I'm at work today. Not too many people in though.

I-75
December 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I just got off from work, so technically I did.

PilotJLR
December 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm "working" from home today... which basically just means monitoring the BlackBerry. It's a fair trade; today is an almost universally unproductive day.

K.Mandla
December 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Just finished my "shift" and going back for another one tomorrow. And Friday. :|

Cheers and a happy holiday of your choice. :mrgreen:

DrHackenbush
December 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm working today. This is one of the best days there is to be database support. Most of the users are gone which means the database tend to do what they are supposed to do.

Silly users.

:)

Dragonbite
December 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Here!

We were going to have our Holiday Luncheon (used to be a catered Holiday party but not in this economy) last Friday but the office was closed early due to the heavy snowfall.

So we are having it today; pot-luck luncheon, cookie swap and secret santa.

Hopefully we're still getting out of here early!

NewJack
December 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Stuck working today until 4pm. At least I'm off tomorrow to be with the wife & kids.

Polygon
December 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
im off today, tommrow, but the i get to go back to work friday and every day of the winter vacation except new years. gah.

Icehuck
December 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yep, I've been at work since 6:30am this morning. Unfortunately, I have to share an office with my boss due to the building being renovated. I'm trying to make it look like I'm working but dunno if I have him fooled. Even if I get out early I'll have to go home and shovel snow then head to my Sister's for Christmas Eve dinner.

I live in Chicago and we probably have twice the amount of snow that Seattle has, but we don't even make the news.

p_quarles
December 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
On the bus traveling to work as I write this. Hello all!

Dragonbite
December 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm glad they gave us tomorrow off and Friday as one of our allowed "floating holidays"

fatality_uk
December 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Head of IT here.
Just finished for a week.

Merry Christmas to all and enjoy the holidays folks!

malleus74
December 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm hard at work here in Arkansas! No one seems home for me to call, though...:(

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Mr. Picklesworth
December 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm working today :(
Have a terrible cold, but nobody can cover my shift so they would kill me if I called in sick...

There should be a law against service-oriented workers being sick / contageous on the job. Then I could get away with it.

Daisuke_Aramaki
December 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
thanx to a stupid hardware glitch in our cluster, i am still at work and its 19 hrs rite now, and there was not a single soul at work today. but i think i learned my lesson. just becoz ur a buddhist and don't celebrate xmas, doesn't mean u can say yes to the sysadmin to watch over the system during holidays :mad:

neway Happy Holidays to all! hope Bill O'Reilly doesn't lurk around here!

will1911a1
December 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm at work, but only for another hour or so. :)

Idaho Dan
December 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Working here today, but off tomorrow and Friday!

Happy Holidays!

n2dabloo
December 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Yes, I'm working. I'm stuck offshore, 60 miles off the coast of Nigeria, working on a small ship. We did get a special visitor today though:
http://e.imagehost.org/0260/santarig.jpg
done with Gimp :)

notwen
December 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Working hard here, off tomorrow though. Woohoo !

mpsii
December 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I am working all through the new year. The only time I have taken off all year was Thanksgiving and a couple of sick days. I am getting kinda sick of working, but cannot give up the shift diff and holiday pay.

GliderMike
December 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I got to work at about 10:00 (holiday celebrating last night:-) left at 11:30 to finish Christmas shopping for wife and gifts for employees then back to office at 12:30. About out of here now though at 2:00.

So....kinda working :-) I'm about to lose three weeks of vacation I could never take so not at all worried about blowing the day off.

Nepherte
December 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Not working, but studying for the upcoming exams. I'm not reallly in a holidag mood, that's for sure.

Merry Christmas everyone.

ugm6hr
December 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Managed to leave work at lunchtime today.

But working Boxing Day and the weekend :(