PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation getting stuck

ubun7uf@n
December 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
hi,

i am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 on my HP XW 4550 workstation on a free space on one of the hard disk. as i am booting from the live dvd (which i got through shipit channel), the booting goes fine until a stage is reached where all i see is the mouse cursor and Ubuntu desktop background (i.e. solid brown color screen). the dvd is not being read, the mouse moves, keyboard lights are working but still the os is not completing the boot. i left it like that overnight and yet nothing happened.

the following are my hardware specifications:
HP XW 4550 workstation
4 GB RAM
500 GB x 2 SATA Hard Disk
NVidia 2800GT VGA card
2 x 1Gbps NIC
DVD-RW
2 x HP L2208 Wide Screen LCD monitors (22"screens) connected to the VGA card

i would like to mention that i tried to install ubuntu on another desktop pc i.e. HP 2350dc, Core2Duo, 1 GB RAM, no VGA card, and it installed like a charm. Then i tried to install Mandriva 2009 on my workstation i.e. HP xw4550 and it installed smoothly.

I have Vista and XP running on my HP workstation running fine. i created a 250 GB empty space too for ubuntu to install.

Please advise a way out.

zoundz
December 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
One thing that could cause that is low RAM, but seeing as you have 4 GB, that's not your problem. I would recommend getting another installation disc. Most installation discs are due to a burn problem. Make sure you burn the disc at a low speed. Also, if you are using Gutsy Gibbon(Ubuntu 7.10), you might as well get an updated Ubuntu. ;) Try burning the Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 ISO. :)

mikewhatever
December 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
+1 for going with a newer version, 8.04 or 8.10. Gutsy is reaching its end of life in four months in April 2009.

ubun7uf@n
December 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
thanks a lot for responding. actually i have tried to install 8.10 from the same DVD to another PC and it installed perfectly. then I also tried to install ver 8.04, but even that got stuck on my workstation whereas i remember installing ver 8.04 on a bunch of PCs and you see I don;t burn the DVDs rather i request for original ones from "shipit" channel. so the question of faulty media is also ruled out.

kindly advise me what could be done.

piojunbabia
December 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM
oh...three OS at the same time? that pretty crowded... i think you need to remove either xp or vista... they are almost the same...

ubun7uf@n
December 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM
any solution guys? i'm still stuck!