PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install: Unable to type at "Who are you" screen

bansl
December 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I downloaded the latest ubuntu 8.10 and burned it to a CD.
I booted up the CD on a Dell 8100 already running RHEL 5.x. Ubuntu was supposed to replace RHEL.

The first few Install screens come up OK, however, at the "Who are you..." screen, I am unable to type anything into any of the boxes.

I tried clicking on the box with the mouse, tabbing, anything - just cannot type anything into those boxes.

Tried rebooting the CD a few times, always the same result.

Help???

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bryan.

mikewhatever
December 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I downloaded the latest ubuntu 8.10 and burned it to a CD.
I booted up the CD on a Dell 8100 already running RHEL 5.x. Ubuntu was supposed to replace RHEL.

How can RHEL be running along with booting the Ubuntu cd? Are you installing on a virtual machine?
I don't think it's possible to replace whatever you run that way.

bansl
December 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
...perhaps I was not clear.. I am trying to replace RHEL5 with ubuntu. I had thought that if, in the install partitioning panel, I replied use 100% of the disk for ubuntu, then when it actually started on the install, it would just reformat the whole disk hence removing RHEL5...

Anyhoo, that is not the problem I am trying to solve, the fact I canot type into one of the pre-installation panels is the real problem, maybe with the keyboard, I replied USA/USA for that, or the display, which is a standard Viewsonic 19" LCD.

Thanks,

Bryan.