PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu ISO Saved as Winwar File?

italianoman421
December 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I am completely new to Linux, and when I went to make the CD for Ubuntu, it saved as a winwar file instead as an ISO. What do I need to do to the file to make it okay to burn onto a CD to install the OS.

73ckn797
December 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I am completely new to Linux, and when I went to make the CD for Ubuntu, it saved as a winwar file instead as an ISO. What do I need to do to the file to make it okay to burn onto a CD to install the OS.

What program are you trying to burn the file with that would cause this?

thegnark
December 24th, 2008, 07:28 AM
The file you download may still be an ISO even though the icon appears to be that of a RAR file. Upon installation, WinRAR can (and might by default) register itself as a program to open .iso files.

Even if this is the case, you can still burn the file as a bootable CD, but you'll need a capable program to do so. There are many available for free, and a quick search can point you towards several.

73ckn797
December 24th, 2008, 06:51 PM

If the file extension is "iso" then you only need to use Brasero or another burner.
Find Brasero in Applications/Sound & Video
Also: Applications/Add-Remove, Show: All available applications; GnomeBaker or others designated for CD/DVD burning.