PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] kde offline installation

animax
December 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
hi friends,i just downloaded ubuntu 8.10.now i want to have the kde desktop environment along with gnome so i have the best of both worlds(i read this was possible,wherein the user is presented with a choice between the two environments at the time of logon).

anyway my problem is that my computer doesnt have a permenant internet connection,and i have the habit of reinstalling os frequently.so is there anyway to install kde(perhaps version 4) offline??
(i want to download the whole "kubuntu-desktop package" not just the core,as read this was the best method for having the dual environments)

plz respond soon as i have only a few days left for the internet connection and after that im limited only to a dail up connection.and also plz give a detailed info as i'm new to ubuntu.i really want to try out ubuntu,i love it (im presently on windows,but i can learn fast if u teach me)

animax
December 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
come on guys no one knows? ok if i was unclear in the previous post,sry here it is again.
what i want to do is to obtain the kde files for offline installation on ubuntu 8.10 when i need to(as in case of a system reinstall).
i read about 2 methods to do this:
1)get a kubuntu cd and install via apt(in this case which version of kubuntu should i use for ubuntu 8.10)

2)the next method as quoted from other website :"Get a friend to download the package files of kubuntu-desktop off synaptic. (they can do this by selecting the 'Download Package files only' option from the summary page) Once he/she has given you these via cd, usb drive or any other means of transfer, you can install those on your computer. Alternatively, you could remove your Ubuntu GNOME installation and order a Kubuntu CD.
(in this case i need more info as im totally new to ubuntu)

plz give your suggestions friends.thank you

EXCiD3
January 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hey, this is an issue with Ubuntu as it almost assumes that users have a steady and highspeed internet connection. Try using Keryx (http://keryx.betaserver.org) to download the kubuntu-desktop package onto a flash drive. You will need a fairly large flash drive. It will take care of all the packages and dependencies so that you will have everything and then you can install them on your computer without internet without a problem.