PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot reinstall XP even after partition! Help!

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I tried using gparted already to partition the HD and leave room to reinstall window XP. However when I go to install XP by putting in the disk, I get the following screen. I've been trying several times to get this and it doesn't seem to go through. I've tried searching and doing the guides provided but I got no luck so far:(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/3132639574_e0294cd3c6.jpg?v=0

2hot6ft2
December 24th, 2008, 05:49 AM
What did you partition it to? What format? Windows will not recognize a linux ext2, ext3, and the like you need to format it to ntfs for windows to see it. And it needs to be a primary partition.

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I did set it to NTFS and still nothing

2hot6ft2
December 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Have you had any problems before this with the drive? Is it in the master position on the tape? Is the pin set to master on the drive (windows doesn't like being the slave)? It's looking like a hardware issue.

Might try this.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
TestDisk is a powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Not sure what it's set to because this is on my laptop.

2hot6ft2
December 24th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Then I seriously doubt it's been changed and I would try the recovery disc I linked to. I don't know if this will help but I just saw it.

Boot from the windows XP CD, press the "R" key in the setup in order to start the restoration console. Select your windows XP installation from the list, and enter the administrator password.
Enter the command: "FIXMBR" (without the quotes) at the input prompt and confirm the next question with a "Y" (without the quotes). Use exit to restore the computer.

That will fix XP right up :)

monkeyking
December 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Check if your xp cd has sata drivers streamlined for your harddrive

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
^^^ How would I do that?

logos34
December 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Check if your xp cd has sata drivers streamlined for your harddrive

If the OP is using a regular XP install CD, it won't.

^^^ How would I do that?

Do you have a SATA drive? Because if you do it could be XP can't recognize the disk because its in AHCI sata mode. Check your Bios settings

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 07:12 AM
If the OP is using a regular XP install CD, it won't.

Do you have a SATA drive? Because if you do it could be XP can't recognize the disk because its in AHCI sata mode. Check your Bios settings

I'll go ahead and check that right now thanks. Yes this is just a regular XP cd.

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
It seems like its SATA but the partition is giving me "hda7" which iirc isn't SATA.

logos34
December 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM
yes, hda probably means you have an IDE

Post the output of this command:

sudo lshw -C disk

duffman1278
December 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/duffman1278/Screenshot.png

logos34
December 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
no, looks like you do have sata (Sata 1.5 GB/s, that is)--two Seagate Momentus 100GB drives. (sda and sdb)

So the next thing to do is check the Bios settings to see if it's running in ahci mode...ubuntu kernel supports it, XP does not (natively)...the drivers need to be added at installation time on floppy (F6) or slipstreamed on the CD (some computer manufacturer CD's include the drivers, but not the OEM or retail versions AFAIK). Or else run in IDE compatibility mode (the only thing you would lose in your case I believe is hot-plug capability, and you'd have to switch the Bios mode every time you want to boot the other OS

duffman1278
December 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
This is getting wierd now. I tried reinstalling ubuntu and redoing the partitons for NTFS and now i'm getting a message on the window XP install that says I now how NO HD. It looks like the blue screen I posted in my first post however it tells theres no drives. wtf:confused:

logos34
December 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM
This is getting wierd now. I tried reinstalling ubuntu and redoing the partitons for NTFS and now i'm getting a message on the window XP install that says I now how NO HD. It looks like the blue screen I posted in my first post however it tells theres no drives. wtf:confused:

formatting ntfs partitions with gparted in linux (assuming that's what you mean) won't help us here...Sounds like the problem is that the sata mode in the Bios (check it) is set for AHCI rather than IDE emulation/compatibility/legacy mode...Vista and Linux kernel 2.6.x support it natively (i.e. include the sata drivers), XP doesn't. You have to add them just before windows installation otherwise XP installer can't see the disks. So you have a choice: either reinstall ubuntu in IDE compatibility mode, then add XP, or else slipstream the sata drivers into a custom XP install CD.

Is this a laptop? Post your make and model, system specs. I can help track down the sata drivers if you want

duffman1278
December 25th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Yup, a laptop. I'll try what you said about the ubuntu reinstall.

Here's the specs:
HP DV8000
200gigs HD
1gb ram
Intel Centrino

Upon reinstalling Ubuntu (trying to put it in IDE mode as you suggested) I noticed that it says here "SCSl3 (0,0,0)(sda) - 100GB ATA ST9100824AS) Dunno if that'll give you some info on the drives.

logos34
December 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Upon reinstalling Ubuntu (trying to put it in IDE mode as you suggested) I noticed that it says here "SCSl3 (0,0,0)(sda) - 100GB ATA ST9100824AS) Dunno if that'll give you some info on the drives.

we already know the drives (see above). more here (http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f56d99f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd 04090aRCRD&locale=en-US)

reinstalling both os in ide mode is the best option

duffman1278
December 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Got it! I ended up going into the BIOS settings and disabled the SATA Drive. After I did this it installed with no issues. Thanks!