PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft work?

rudeboyskunk
January 6th, 2005, 01:14 AM
I have Cedega/Wine on my linuxbox, and I want to get World of Warcraft...does it work in cedega?

jdodson
January 6th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I have Cedega/Wine on my linuxbox, and I want to get World of Warcraft...does it work in cedega?

yes.

brdweb
January 7th, 2005, 02:49 AM
It works almost perfectly. Even UI mods like cosmos work without a hitch.

robtotheb
February 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM
It works almost perfectly. Even UI mods like cosmos work without a hitch.

How did u manage that? I've tried it and its too slow compared to running it on XP, cant even work out how to get the resolution past 640x480.

apoc
February 7th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Works for me aswell,

make sure you have AGP enabled for your card.

robtotheb
February 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM
how do i check?

AndersAA
February 8th, 2005, 03:23 AM
dmesg | grep AGP

you can also cat /var/log/X*.0.log | egrep 'WW|EE' (to search your X log for warnings/errors).

I also have it running rather flawlessly. I run it in opengl, so I can't have my minimap open while inside buildings (it'll crash), but the performance is considerably better than direct3d. (to use opengl start WoW.exe -opengl). There's a mod available that makes sure the minimap defaults to off, so you dont have to make sure your outside when you quit :)

mattyh
February 8th, 2005, 05:04 PM
I had heard there were some bugs that caused random crashing...experiencing any of that? I've been running windows for a while now in order to play WoW mostly, I'd like to come back to Ubuntu soon, cause to be honest I like it better :)

AndersAA
February 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I had heard there were some bugs that caused random crashing...experiencing any of that? I've been running windows for a while now in order to play WoW mostly, I'd like to come back to Ubuntu soon, cause to be honest I like it better :)

I've actually had more crashes in windows than I've had in linux. In windows it would hardlock on occasion (probably some kind of hardware bug).

dmatrix
February 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
World of Warcraft works great on all my Ubuntu systems in Direct3D and OpenGL. Performance is really good and the game has been rock solid for me. I do not recall having a single crash and if I did it was just WoW crashing and a quick restart fixed it up. I have been playing almost daily since the Beta started. This game is great and worth the money.

robtotheb
February 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Im using an ATI 9700 card which run wow perfectly under windows but ATI drivers for linux are famous for being ******! Any of you who have it running well in Ubuntu use similar hardware?

What does this mean??

"you can also cat /var/log/X*.0.log | egrep 'WW|EE' (to search your X log for warnings/errors)."

Can you been more specific please - im a linux newbie :P

AndersAA
February 8th, 2005, 08:58 PM
"you can also cat /var/log/X*.0.log | egrep 'WW|EE' (to search your X log for warnings/errors)."

Can you been more specific please - im a linux newbie :P

execute :
cat /var/log/X*.0.log | egrep 'WW|EE'
in a terminal, cat will show the file Xorg.0.log or Xfree86.0.log and egrep will search for WW (warnings in the log) and EE (errors).

robtotheb
February 8th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I get this

" (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID" does not exist.
(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID".
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:3:0:1) found
(WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
"

AndersAA
February 9th, 2005, 12:18 AM
hm, well, you could atleast remove the busid line from your xorg.conf/XF86Config-4. The chipset part I'm not sure about.

robtotheb
February 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Didnt help ](*,)

What did you type in your WTF/config file to get opengl to work?