PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which installation tool?

jbuczek
December 24th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I want to install Ubuntu across two drives. One is a 2GB flash drive which the hardware apparently disguises as a HDD because the "Install to flash drive" on the standard "live CD" doesn't see it. The other is a 300GB USB drive. The question is which installation method will permit me to set up the partitions and tree structure I want without demanding more expertise from me than I have. The Ubuntu site lists about a dozen different "alternative ways to install".

This is for a "VSFF". very low power box with a fanless Jetway J7F2WE1G2E Mini-ITX Motherboard with VIA C7 1.2GHz and 1 GB RAM.

I want this to serve two purposes. Primary is as a file server for backups, files, pictures and music for the three computers in my household. Secondary is as a backup web browser, email client and minimal access to my records if my main computer is down.

The hardware will run 24/7. The USB drive will automatically spin down if not accessed for x minutes and spin up again when needed. This is because here in the Philippines we have about the most expensive electricity going.

I'd like to install Ubuntu with the required system and networking programs on the flash drive and applications, user files, and anything else practical on the USB drive. I'm a linex newbie but my study indicates I should at least be able to put /home and /opt on the USB drive and maybe more.

I'm sure this will work. I did a normal "live CD" install to the flash drive, ignoring the message that I was a little bit short on space and it might not work. All the basic functions work great but I can't figure out how to rework the file structure leading me to think I need to re-install.

So which tool will get me up and running ASAP?

BTW......... I know that using a flash drive as the system drive can drastically shorten the life of the flash drive. I tried searching for an outline of steps to take to minimize or relocate the number of administrative disk ops but got drowned in thousands of hits for every keyword combination I tried. I'll keep trying but if someone can point me in the right direction it might save a bunch of time.